Saturday, October 11, 2014

Birthday Time.

My eyes slowly open to walls of a darkened room and a brightly lit clock in the far corner.  Even without my glasses I can easily read 6:48. The time surprises me. I have slept a solid three hours since letting Licorice Kitty out. That is nice. I had also slept three hours before letting her out. That is also nice, but I really could use another hour or two of slumber.

So, don't ask me why I am up, why I'm sitting in a dimly lit living room, or why I'm watching the trees slowly take shape as another wonderful day is born. I guess I like being surrounded by darkness. It is comforting to me. I was going to add that I like being surrounded by silence too, but it is not silent. I can hear the hummmmm of the furnace as it takes the autumn night chill off the house. I can also hear the faint meow of Licorice Kitty as she waits for me to open the front door and welcome her in.

I oblige.

Now, in the fading darkness and with the new sounds of waking birds, I wait for activity to begin. I wait for my son and his wife to arise and find their way to the sofa across the room from me. I also wait for my son to perform his morning ritual when he is here--brewing a pot of COFFEE then perfectly flavoring and presenting a cup of it to his wife and a cup to me. Aaaah, what a perfect start to a perfect day. Strong coffee and quiet conversation can be heavenly.

Also heavenly is an aroma-filled kitchen that will soon follow. There is nothing like sausage, eggs toasted bagels and juice to start the day off right. By tonight, the morning scent will have been replaced by the tantalizing aromas of lasagna and brownies. It is October birthday party time!

We had everything figured out for celebrating three birthdays today, at least that is what we thought several weeks ago, but life in busy households can change things. Tonight is the homecoming dance. A granddaughter is going to the dance and her two brothers are accompanying her, her date, and her friends to dinner. Now what?

Well, maybe we could have a special breakfast instead. Nope. My grandson has his SAT test this morning and the rest of his family has cross country practice. A mid-day dinner was also ruled out because after the SAT test there is worship practice which includes my grandson as well as my daughter and her husband. Aaaaaand, another granddaughter is at a youth leadership retreat this weekend and won't be home until late this afternoon.

So, we are back to plan A--dinner at 5:00 for those who can make it. With the kids gone, there is more lasagna for the rest of us. At least all of us except the homecoming girl will be here for ice cream sundaes or banana splits and brownies.

These are fun days indeed.

Thanks, Lord, for time with family, birthday celebrations, lasagna and ice cream.

Jan


No comments:

Post a Comment