Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Something from Nothing

Tonight was one of those nights I didn't want to fix myself something to eat, but I knew that wasn't the best solution to my inertia problem--neither was microwaved popcorn. Sadly, all the left-overs from previous meals had been eaten. I felt it was too late to thaw something, and my kitchen was devoid of food. At least in my eyes it was. Oh, what to do? What to do?

I went with the flow and ended up with a very tasty meal made from a little bit of something, yet a lot of nothing. I took the last two slices of drying-up bread from the sack (heels of course), the last of my cheddar cheese (got it on sale), half a yellow pepper (hiding in the back of the crisper, but not slimy yet), and the last of my grapes (keeping the pepper company all week).  With a presto-chango and an abracadabra, I soon was treating my taste buds to a grilled cheese sandwich accompanied by sliced peppers and cold, pop-to-the-bite grapes.

What a perfect way to end a long day--creating something wonderful out of almost nothing.

As I was giving myself a high-five and a slap on the back for my great work and creativity, the Lord sort of patted me on the top of my head and said, "Well done! Now try to create something from nothing." It wasn't a challenge or a boast. It was merely a simple reminder of his awesome power. Yet, it soon became much more than that--a kitchen parable.

While standing at my sink washing up the day's dishes, my thoughts turned to people, especially children and young adults, who feel like my kitchen cupboards and fridge had previously looked--either empty or holding nothing desirable or even usable. Hopeless, in other words, and having no future.

Well, if I can make a wonderful supper from almost nothing, and God can create the universe from absolutely nothing, just think what he can do with people who think they are nothing.

Jeremiah 29:11New International Version (NIV)11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
If only such people knew how much God loved them, sacrificed for them, and had planned for them. If only!! There is so much work to be done, and so little time to do it. So the question is, "Am I willing to work while I am still a work in progress?"
Since I will never be a perfect vessel this side of heaven, I had better do the best with what I have been given on this side of the pearly gates.   Jan



No comments:

Post a Comment