Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fog God

Fog.  That is what greeted me the other morning. Gray, misty, light-shrouding fog.  The sun hadn't risen yet, but the sky was starting to lighten. Fog is nothing unusual around here, but it was thicker than usual and unexpected.  At least I hadn't expected it. As the morning moved on, the fog didn't.  The doe and her twins visited the apple trees and left. The fog stayed. The mailman came and went. The fog still stayed.

The fog stayed until around noon, then quickly thinned out and finally dissipated altogether. I welcomed the warming sun as I walked to my car for a quick trip over to my son's house to pick up some things I needed. I had gone less that a mile when I was confronted by a big, gray, threatening, bank of fog concealing the narrow bridge ahead. Approaching cars were going slowly and had their headlights on. I just about turned around to go back home. I was in no mood to fight the darkness ahead.

 "No," I immediately told myself.  A little fog never hurt anyone if they stay in their own lane. I slowed down, made sure my lights were on, and headed into the dark "abyss".  I had barely entered the gray blanket when I had to blink because the sun was so bright. The fog was suddenly gone. Oncoming cars were speeding along, but their headlight were starting to come on as they approached the foggy bridge from the other end.

That whole experience made me smile to myself.  Isn't that the way life is sometimes?  Everything looks so dark and gloomy on the road ahead that we just want to turn around and go back to the comfort of our homes. We are in no mood to fight, but decide to keep on keeping on. Then we soon discover that what we thought was the worse possible situation wasn't much of anything at all. We had turned on our lights, slowed down, or whatever we thought was necessary only to discover the impending disaster so short-lived that in the big picture, it is almost non-existent.

What does this all mean to anyone, including myself? Well I guess that I need to always be alert, prepare accordingly, and continue moving forward without panic. There is always light on the other side. I think I've heard similar stories somewhere before.

Check out your Bibles. It is full of stories of God's people entering extremely dark. foggy places, not turning back, and ultimately emerging into the Light victoriously.  We might not live in 1800 BC or 45 AD, but as God's children in 2012, we serve the same Fog God those people did. Can we do any less than they? Watch out fog,  we're coming through.

Have a God day. I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment