Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Served in Elegance.

It is 1:30 pm and I have been looking at a blank computer screen for over 10 minutes trying to figure out what to write.  Here are the options I have pondered:

  • I had an unscheduled therapy appointment yesterday.  Dr. B. had an evening cancellation to fill, so I took it. I could write about that.
  • I am going to a volleyball game this afternoon, a cross country meet Thursday and Saturday. Love watching those grand kids. I could write about that.
  • I received a call from a long-time friend who recently moved back to the area.  I am seeing her tomorrow.  I could write about...
  • I'm helping a grandchild with a garage sale this weekend.  I could write...
  • I'm invited to a grandchild's birthday party Saturday.  I could...
  • It's a beautiful day, but aren't they all.  I...
  • Warm socks...
  • Lunch...I want some.
I'll be back in a few minutes...

A few minutes later...That was yummy. I toasted an English muffin and spread a little mayo on each side. Added three slices of a Roma tomato, a slice of medium cheddar cheese, some sliced, roasted turkey breast, and a romaine lettuce leaf. I topped the whole lunch off with a small dish of pear sauce I made from a bunch of plum sized Asian pears from my tree.  

Funny thing is I didn't know I even had an Asian pear tree. It is in the midst of several plum trees that don't bear much fruit because our weather is usually very rainy when the plums are blooming.  The blossoms just don't get pollinated. Anyway, I thought the pear tree was a golden plum, and never checked on it this late in the summer. What a pleasant surprise.

I digress.  Lunch is where I was.  When I went to the kitchen to fix something, I had no idea what I was going to make.  It just happened--sort of like, "Let there be lunch, and there was lunch."  Something like that.  It wasn't too hard,

There are other times that are really a challenge. I remember one winter evening when my kids were small and the fridge was pretty bare. Using a bit of creativity, I ended up dicing a lone baked potato left from earlier in the week, and then thawing and dicing an old slice of ham I found in the freezer.  I fried up the potato, threw in the ham, poured in my last two eggs that I had just beat, and finished the pan off with some dried up cheese I had found in the back corner of the meat drawer, and grated. The best part of all was setting the table with the good dishes, Grandma A's silverware, cloth napkins, then lighting some candles and turning off the dining room light.  Voila, a simple, nutritious meal served in elegance. We were all blessed 

Over the past few years there were days I thought that was the way my life was. My internal cupboards were empty--emotionally, physically, spiritually drained.  All I could find were old, stale, dried out remains of what once was good. Not willing to give up, I took what remains I had and let God do the cooking. He took the dried out, frozen, almost gone parts of me and added the best he had to offer. The results? Drum roll please. The Lord had taken what I thought was nothing and transformed me into a simple, growing child, his child, served up in elegance. I'm blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment