Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What's The Big Deal With New Years?

We are two days into 2013 and something is missing, but it will be back tonight. RAIN. My friend who lives the next road over from me has an official, electronic rain gauge. Here is the amazing result of rainfall in 2012. We had a total of 116.2 inches--9' 8.2" That sounds like a lot and it is, but the amazing thing is 56.8" fell between September 1 and December 31. Now that's a lot of rain.
==========================================================

What's the big deal with New Years? That is the question I asked myself several times on New Years day. Over and over again I heard or read about resolutions--do people keep them and for how long? I heard about the dreaded fiscal cliff being avoided--at least temporarily. I heard and read about hopes and dreams for the coming year. What is the big deal?

Each and every day promises the beginning of something new. I can resolve, promise, or decide to make changes at any point in time, even as I type this. I can seek the Lord's guidance, ask for healing, finances, peace, protection or anything else at any time and experience something new.

What's the big deal about turning over a new leaf on New Years when I can do it today?

As I see it, there are two kinds of leaves that can be turned over. The first is the leaf of our life book, a page in our diary, so to speak. On January first, as the world see it, the entire "book" is empty, just waiting for us to start filling it in. How will I fill my empty pages? I hope I will recount my many blessings and the ways God met me in both the mundane and dire. I hope the pages will, in invisible ink, tell how I have touched others in some way whether big or small, and God was revealed to them. I think you get the idea of this kind of leaf.

The second kind of leaf is what is found moldering in flowerbeds and under trees. Yes, I know rotting leaves, grass, etc add great nutrients to the soil. I also know proper composting is the best way to accomplish that. If not removed, layers of rotting debris will greatly hinder, if not smother, any new growth. But when there is disease on the leaves, they must be destroyed to prevent its spread.

Last year when I sat on a stool, in the rain, removing inches of leaves from a flowerbed, I discovered something amazing. Under the slimy, brown leaves I found pale yellow leaves of crocus trying to find the light. Some were crawling along the ground, but others had actually punctured and grown through the decaying leaves. They had found the light and were greening up. Nothing could stop them from reaching the sun, becoming dark green, then budding, and adding the first color of Spring to my yard. It would have been much easier for them if the junk had been removed in a timely manner.


What kind of pain, hurt, anger, or broken relationships are piling up and rotting in our inner gardens. Are these the new i.e. ignored leaves in our lives that need to be turned over, examined, removed, composted, or destroyed so new growth can take place? I think so.

I need to let the Master Gardener of my soul help me with this one.

Tonight and every other night is in actuality a new year's eve. Happy New Year!

Turning over new leaves daily, Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment