Tuesday, December 10, 2013

He Calls, and Calls, and Calls

Guess what sounds wonderful around now, curling up in my warm bed for a little nap. I'm so tired this morning. It is the cat's fault. Since Licorice Kitty spent a restless night searching for her kittens, I spent a restless night also. She would sleep at the foot of my bed for an hour or so, then jump down and start roaming throughout the house mewing, yowling, and crying, but still not getting any response. Then she would return, mew at me, curl up and sleep another hour before searching again. Even this morning, she is still searching and sniffing everywhere the kittens had been. From the top of the kitchen bar to the nether regions under the couch, she has explored. Still no luck.

I have explained the situation to her, but she just doesn't understand why her kids are going to new homes. She tells me they must be hiding around here somewhere.  I will say this, though, she has been very affectionate since we got home yesterday. When she isn't searching, she is either sleeping beside my laptop while I type, or sitting beside me wanting to be petted. I was even surprised when she jumped on my bed last night. In the three months she has been inside, she has never done that.

This new experience has given me more awe of God's creation than I had before. The maternal instinct Licorice Kitty exhibits brought me to tears again today--not like yesterday's torrent, but tears are tears no matter how many there are.

If a mere cat can experience such loss that her searching and calling is now approaching twenty-four hours, what must God go through when seeking his lost ones. Unlike Licorice Kitty, God knows where we all are, but he continually calls for His lost to return to him.

Within a week, Licorice should forget her "lost" kittens. At least that is what the vet said. That will be good for both of us. But God never forgets his lost kids. Holy Spirit will call, and call, and call until we are no longer have breath to answer Him.

And best of all, He calls us by name.

Isaiah 43:1-2
But now, thus says the LORD, who created you, O Jacob, And he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are mine.*


Thank you, Lord.

Jan and sleeping Licorice Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment