Thursday, December 12, 2013

She Was Quite The Lady

White table cloths, blue, construction paper place mats, clear glass vases filled with evergreens and red balls,  and plastic-ware wrapped with red ribbon decorated the tables in the elementary school multipurpose room. Christmas music filled the air while grandparents from the community filed in and waited expectantly for the soon-to-be-meal and music program.

I hadn't been seated very long before a cute high-school student (my granddaughter) asked me if I'd like a cup of coffee. Of course I did. While she went to fetch the coffee, a couple white-haired ladies joined me. (Their hair was whiter than mine) Seated next to me was "Lorna" who, at eighty-five years of age, recently retired as director of the Senior Center as well as from her chaplaincy position with the fire department. "I just can't get up at 1:00 am to help out with fire emergencies any more," she told me.

She hasn't missed a city council meeting in fourteen years, has organized the placement of Holiday Food Bank Donation boxes in almost every business in the area for "who know how long," and loves the drums, guitars, and vocals of the worship team at her church.

She belongs to a well-known social organization that she no longer participates in because, "They don't do anything to help anyone. They make me mad. I have too much to do. I can't waste my time visiting over a social luncheon."

And she loved kids. That was why she was at the Grandparents Christmas Luncheon. She thoroughly enjoyed the sparkly dresses and shiny shoes, the jackets and ties, the tee shirts, hoodies, and pairs of well-worn jeans, as well as the dirty sneakers. She lovingly pointed out the shyest tot and the most exuberant vocalist. She didn't miss anything, and didn't want me to either. Whether the child was a wiggly, giggly kindergartner or an arms-crossed-I-don't-want-to-be-here fourth grader, each brought a grin to her face. The entire two hours were pure joy to her.

For me, I always love the school programs, but during today's lunch I let "Lorna's" story with all its enthusiasm, energy, and servant's heart bring me shame instead of joy. But as she talked I slowly realized that I would have no idea how to do what she has done for years. I don't know the people she does, have her contacts, or her organizational skills. She is using her God-given talents to the fullest. "Lorna" is being the best "Lorna" she can be. I'm sure God is well pleased.

So, instead of feeling bad about not being like her, my main question became, am I being the best Jan I can be? My honest answer is, not yet, but I'm working on it.

I praise the Lord for people like Lorna. What an example and inspiration she was to me. I don't think our sitting at the same table was coincidental. The Lord was definitely in our encounter, and, for me, it truly was joyful--tis the season.

Thank you, Lord, for today's luncheon and "Lorna". She was quite the lady.

Jan and Licorice (who is sitting on my lap purring)






No comments:

Post a Comment