Friday, January 17, 2014

I Saw a Masterpiece Today

I had a WOW moment today that made me wish I had an i-phone or i-pad or i-something I could use to post a picture. I would have loved to have all of you experience the beauty and grandeur of an elk herd up close. By 'up close' I mean that at least twenty beautiful creatures were standing and grazing thirty to forty feet from my bedroom door. Watching such magnificent animals, enormous yet regal, thrilled me. WOW.

I love watching the wildlife that regularly visit my small piece of paradise. I've occasionally seen a raccoon in the evenings--it trips the motion sensor night light. Bats have gotten into the house. Snakes have shed their skin in the field. I've seen signs of bear, and heard the eerie howl of coyotes. There are the squirrels, chipmunks, feral cats, neighbor's dogs, and field mice. There are jays, crows, starlings, hummingbirds, swallows, eagles, and hawks. And of course, there are the deer.

But elk are another story. Although they are fairly common around here, grazing in large herds in roadside fields, they are usually seen from a distance. There is a sizable herd that dines in fields by the nearby river, possibly the same herd that knocks down pasture fences at my daughter's house. But when a 500-700 pound Olympic elk is no longer off in the distance and is lifting up his head from munching on your blue berry bushes and looking you in the eye, you know you have seen something.

Wild, yet beautiful is what they are--a masterpiece of God's creation.

I hope they come back soon. I had only a few minutes to watch them, before leaving to help out at the school. Maybe tomorrow.  If not, I feel blessed to have been so close to them today. Thank you, Lord.

Still in awe,
Jan and Licorice (she slept through it all)


No comments:

Post a Comment