Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Licorice, aka Spirit

Leftovers. That is what I have been eating the past week. This morning I discovered the remains of some delicious thick-sliced bacon in a cottage cheese container. The bacon had been used to wrap around a pork loin roast we had for the holidays. The roast was marinaded for a day, then baked. The loin was so good, as was the bacon.

So, for breakfast this morning, I heated up the bacon, poached an egg, toasted a couple slices of English Muffin bread, and poured a glass of V8 juice. I then sat in the recliner and, under the scrutiny of Licorice Kitty, enjoyed every bite of it. At least that is what I thought.

Late this afternoon, after I finished a crossword puzzle, Licorice jumped onto my lap, gave me a friendly meow with a comforting purr, poked her nose into the cushion beside me and stated to dig. What in the world is she up to, I wondered. Since cat claws and leather cushions don't mix well, I moved her off my lap and replaced her with my laptop. Before long, she had returned and repeated her previous actions. I repeated mine.

After a few moments of pondering Licorice's actions, I finally, and very carefully, put my hand down between the cushion and the side of the chair. For all I knew, Licorice had a mouse stored down there. She didn't. Instead, it was a piece of bacon that had slid off my plate this morning! I can't believe I didn't know it had gone missing. I ate it.

I'm considering giving Licorice the nickname of  'Spirit'--the one who searches out my deepest, darkest places to reveal those things that need to be removed before they rot and cause bigger problems.

Well, it's time to get ready for another basketball game. Love it.

This has been a great, new-year day. I pray tomorrow will be, too.

Jan and Licorice Kitty (I should have given her the bacon)


No comments:

Post a Comment