Friday, January 24, 2014

New Words for the Day

I'm off to a retreat for the weekend. It will be a few days to work an a photo album, organize album supplies (again), and sort and organize newspaper clippings. In between these tasks, I have a book to read and a cross stitch project to work on--the one I began at last year's retreat and haven't touched since.

There will be wonderful meals to share and stories to tell. I am looking forward to it.

I decided that my laptop is staying home; therefore, there will be no blog posts over the weekend. There is no internet hookup there anyway. But I might take it along if I get inspired to write. Who knows? I don't.

This is a day that I learned something new. Two words. Since I love words, I had to check these out. In an article on the arctic snowy owls migrating much further south than normal, the word  irruption was used. That was a new one for me. An irruption is an invasion of things (my word) not usually found in the area. It can be people, plants, or animals. So, that is what happened last summer. My magnolia tree had an irruption of paper wasps in its top branches.

The other word was murmuration. and used in the heading for a video of a huge flock of birds that filled the sky as it swooped and swirled up and down, back and forth. It was amazing. When I looked  up the word, I discovered that a murmuration is the term for a gathering of starlings.  I love the word, but I really don't think starlings murmur.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Jan and Licorice Kitty who hasn't brought me a mouse in days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment