Sunday, January 5, 2014

What is it about Journaling?

A new Women's Bible Study starts at church in three weeks--Sacred Secrets--by Beth Moore. If this study had been presented a year or two ago, I would not have sign up for it because it entails journaling, journaling, journaling.

Now some people, like the spell-checker person who lives in my computer, will say journaling is not an acceptable word, and draw a red squiggly line under it. I know, I know. One shouldn't add ing to a noun in order to create a verb. But I did find a source who felt that English is a living, changing language, and if the reader/listener understands what is being said, the word is okay. Since I am fairly certain everyone knows what I mean by journaling, I will keep the word as I wrote it. And, I might note, it is in the Urban Dictionary along with many interesting new words and new definitions of old words. I found out that if my car ever breaks down in a bad section of a large city, I shouldn't ask for a ratchet because I will probably end up with a female of questionable repute instead of a special wrench. Who knew? Not I. But, I digress.

Where was I? Oh yes, journaling. In the past, when I participated in a Bible study that had homework, I filled in the blanks concerning portions of Scripture I had read, but when I came to a "how did you feel?" question I would skip it. Feelings were something I was neither good at nor comfortable with. But, after spending a couple years in therapy, I discovered both the benefits and joys in writing. I also discovered the surprises that came, too.

It's the surprises that keep me writing this blog. Most of the time I have some idea what I want to write about, but no idea where my writing will ultimately end up or why. Take yesterday for example. My grandmother's mirror was on my mind because I had just about knocked it onto the floor earlier that day. As I had mused about what my grandmother saw when she looked into her looking-glass as a young woman, I decided to use that as a jumping off place for the blog. I had no idea that a couple hours after I started writing I would end up with a poem of sorts. But I digress again.

Journaling! Throughout this new Bible study, the participants will be asked to dig deep to discover our personal, shameful secrets, our secret places in which we find God, our good secrets, and secrets between God and us--secrets not to be shared yet. Then we are to write, using our book as a journal.

Since I am no longer afraid to dig, experience emotions, or to write, I am expecting to be surprised and blessed through the digging, the emoting, and the writing. I'll keep you posted.

I hope your Sunday has been as great as mine--worship, rest, grandson's basketball game, and delicious Greek Honey Yogurt. What could be better?

Anticipating a great tomorrow,

Jan and Licorice (Black cat + pink afghan = pretty picture, if I had a camera)

No matter how hard I have tried, I haven't been able to come up with a parable for my granddaughter's basketball game last night. She played the game of her life--13 points with 83% shooting from the free-throw line (9/11). She played tough defense and, at 5'4", successfully fought for rebounds. After the game she was giddy and amazed at the same time. She played the whole game without her contacts. Anything farther than ten feet away was a blur. She never knew what the score was or how much time was on the clock unless she asked. She spotted her down-court teammates...  Wait. I've got it. It's amazing what journaling can do. You will have to wait for tomorrow's post to get the rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment