Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Doorstep Delivery

I live too far out of town for pizza delivery. That is probably a good thing because I love pizza. I just wish I was too far out for field mouse delivery, but I am not. At 1:00 p.m., the black, Licorice-Kitty wagon arrived at my front door with a fresh, plump, white-tummied rodent to be dropped off. Since I didn't remember ordering it, I had to turn her away with these words, "I'm sorry Licorice. I really didn't order a mouse for lunch. You go ahead and eat it. I would like a pizza delivered next time."

She was a little slow to get the message that mousie wasn't coming into the house with her; however, after much meowing, complaining, and arguing she finally decided to dine alone in the brisk, fresh air--al fresco dining at its finest. Then, when her welcome-mat plate was all cleaned up, I let her in. Licorice is now stretched out on my blanket-covered lap sleeping off a full tummy while I attempt typing around a furry body that complains whenever I disturb it.

Thus begins 2014.

 If I wanted to get a "message" from all this, I could interpret the mouse deliveries as a sign to be careful who or what I let into my home. I could say God provides unexpected things in my life. I could say, "God told me to sleep when my stomach is full, and don't try typing with a cat on my lap." I could say all those things, but that isn't where I see God in all this.

I see his hand in the companionship of a cat that appeared in the berry bushes last summer. I see his very ordered world where cats naturally hunt to sustain life. (Licorice doesn't particularly like wet or dry cat food) I learn about trust as Licorice has gone from letting me barely touch her, to where she now seeks me out for a pat down or a warm place on which to sleep. I see the comfort that full tummies, warm blankets, and naps can bring. As I experience the life God provides me, I try to enjoy each moment, including the mice delivered to my doorstep.

Thus begins 2014. That is what I am saying today. I will also say it tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. Every day is a new beginning in Christ. Rejoice, trust, and enjoy.

Experiencing each moment as a new day,

Jan and Licorice (who has moved to a chair)





No comments:

Post a Comment