Friday, July 4, 2014

Don't Cry, Little Flag

JULY 4, 2014


"BURGERS ARE READY!!!"
I hear the chef yell.

Shouts of 
AAAH, YEAA, and YUMMM
go with the smell.

BURSTS OF LIGHT
bedazzle my eyes.

Loud
KABOOMS!!!
rattle the skies.

Cries of
AAAAAH, OOOOOOOOH, and WOW
soar through the air.

FREEDOM FOR ALL
is what I declare.

I watch the flag flap. I watch the flag wave,
o'er the land of the free and home of the brave.

I watch the flag flutter. My heart skips a beat.
I watch the flag shudder. I hear the flag weep.

Is it crying because in the midst of the food,
the family and friends and festival mood
I might have forgotten the wars that were fought
by brave men and women? (I really hope not.)

Don't cry, little flag, don't cry or be sad.
I haven't forgotten. I really am glad.

But, I'll still eat my burger, and salads and chips.
I'll still wipe red ketchup off of my lips.

I'll "oooh" and "aaah" at the fireworks' glare, 
and in the midst I'll say a small prayer
thanking God for all those who fought, 
 asking that it won't be for nought. 

I'll pray for our leaders, as The Good Book does say,
that they follow God's lead 'til the end of their days.

So fly little flag, fly and be proud
Flutter and wave before the huge crowd.
Fill me with love for this country so nice
That was founded for me at such a great price.

!!!!!!!!!!

The greatest freedom of all was not bought during the sound of battle artillery, but, rather, during the silence that followed hammer blows in Mt Calvary. What is the sound of resurrection anyway?

Happy July 4th.

Jan




No comments:

Post a Comment