Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Remedial Forgiveness 70 X 7

Now I've done it! I guess I will have to go back and take a refresher course on forgiveness. My whole situation this morning was so crazy, and I let my emotions enter into the picture.  What I thought would take a simple phone call became a complex and, in my opinion, unnecessary situation.

You see, because of my husband's age, it is necessary to take out the Required Minimum Deduction from his IRA. That should be simple enough since I have his Financial Power of Attorney. Wrong. As it turned out, since the power of attorney I have is more than 90 days old, I have to mail a new form into the prison for him to complete, sign, have notarized, and send back to me so I can sign it before a notary, then send it in with a letter of instruction to the institution holding the IRA.

That may even sound simple, but it isn't. For him to get anything notarized, he has to get on a waiting list to even make an appointment with a notary. The form itself made me laugh. It requires his phone number. That's impossible. Inmates don't have phones. Then it had a four inch line for his address which, in reality, is five lines long. By the time we've jumped through all the hoops, he will probably be another year older, and I'll be practiced enough to join the circus as a performing acrobat.

This whole rigamerole (however you spell it) made me angry at my husband--not the regulators who make the rules, not the financial institution that carries them out, but my husband who is sitting in prison. An hour or so after all the run-around, I was almost spitting nails.  If he hadn't gotten us into this situation, the mandatory IRA withdrawal could have been completed with a simple phone call. Why? Why? Why did he cause all this mess. Why? Why? Why do I have to go through all this hassle?

I hate it. But we don't say hate in our family.

My jump into the blame game this morning surprised me. I thought I was through playing it. I now pray I don't continue in that behavior because every time I blame my husband and his felonious offenses for difficulties I encounter, I jump feet first into the un-forgiveness pit. So now I am enrolled once again in a class called Remedial Forgiveness 70 X 7.

"OK, Lord, here we go again."


No comments:

Post a Comment