Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Ideas Morphed

As I said Tuesday, I had a couple ideas ricocheting around in my head, ideas for the blog. That's when I tearfully wrote, "Saying Goodbye to A Heart Thief". I needed to talk my thoughts and feelings through instead of ignoring the fact that Big Dog's tumor had been a death sentence.

But the second group of ideas refused to land anywhere for very long. Just when I thought I knew where to go with the thoughts, they would take flight, and reveal new plumage in the process. What began as a simple sparrow on Monday morphed into something else altogether by today.

The 'sparrow' arose from the aftermath of the Super Bowl and the Seahawks' emphasis that the victory was because of the TEAM, not the individuals. Even the sports analysts felt that the entire defensive team could have been the Most Valuable Player--they all played that well.

From all the game-day hype came the image of the church functioning to perfection--each person doing their very best. There are no super stars, just the team.

That idea had barely formed when I began reading comments by Coach Pete Carroll about knowing the players as people, recognizing their individual abilities, seeing their heart and enthusiasm for the game, and encouraging them to be the best they can with what they have,

My flitting 'sparrow' immediately began changing from team-shaped to coach-shaped as I considered his words. Then, my bird became parent-shaped as I recalled all the crayons, markers, glue, tape, and paper our family consumed. I remembered the trumpet practices and concerts, the sporting events and special shoes, I remember the elementary school musical, and the church's children's choir and programs. They all flooded back as I remembered the abilities we recognized during our children's earliest years and the ways we encouraged them to grow.

Before long, the team-coach- parent shaped bird landed. I could see it much more closely. I could see that it was really God shaped. God knows us more intimately than anyone. He knows our abilities and our heart. He knows who and what we are to be, and does everything he can to help us become that person.

Then came yesterday and the Bible Study, 'Sacred Secrets' by Beth Moore. Once again the bird took flight and changed shapes--twice. As Beth encouraged the confession of our sins, transgressions, and iniquities, she talked of the freedom and happiness that results, Then came the statement, "Our exterior life must match our interior life."  If it doesn't, the area between our secrets in the interior and the visible of our exterior becomes the devil's playground. Sooner or later the interior, whether addictions, behaviors, harbored ill-will, etc., will be exposed.

This is the point my team-coach-parent-God bird resembled Russell Wilson, the Seahawk quarterback. (Do birds have dimples?) Everything I have read or heard about Russell says the same thing--what you see is what you get. From his profession of faith to his level head, from his compassion to his supportive nature, from his positivity to his joy, what your see on the outside is who he is on the inside. As some writers have said, he is squeaky clean and the advertising industries' dream spokesman.

While I was thinking about my interior and exterior, and whether or not I was a dream spokesman for the Lord, Beth had moved on. She was saying we should have:
Authenticity with all
Transparency with most
Intimacy with few

Out of this came the topic of social media and people (mostly younger folks) revealing anything and everything to the world, Nothing is held back. Their angers, disappointments, resentments, and indiscretions are proclaimed. Thoughts are spoken without filters. Things that were at one time shared only with one or two very close friends (intimacy with few) are now shared with all.

This transparency/intimacy issue also included sexuality.

As our ladies later discussed social media we recalled the days of face-to-face conversations around a dinner table, of visiting the neighbors, and of playing with peers. Much of that is gone today. I have read teens' posts in which they put themselves down as well as their classmates, friends, parents, and teachers. Then I  see the 'likes', and read the comments: words of encouragement and affirmation.

"I feel so ugly and fat today. LOL"
"U R always beautiful."
"Awww. ty"

"I'm so stupid. Wish I was like JJ"
"Your as smart as anyone. Besides, JJs a jerk."   (intentional misspelling)
"Yah, I know she is but I'm still dumb. LOL."
"Don't say that. You are smart."
"AWWWW. ty

"U R not dumb. U past the algebra test!!
"Aaaawwwwww. ty. Love ya

So it goes for 20 or more posts

It breaks my heart to see the pain and the search for love and acceptance these girls seek, not from a close, trusted friend, but from anyone on the friends list, whether they are friends or not.

But here is the scary part. According to one lady who had read a research paper on the topic, many young people today have lost the ability to read facial expressions and body language. When they spout off in a tweet or face book post, they can't see the hurt, disappointment, anger, or shock their vitriol might bring. On the other hand, they also can't see the joy, hope, encouragement, and appreciation their loving words put of the readers' faces. Because they have communicated electronically for so long, they don't see that  their words are having an effect, good or bad. They are blind: therefore, comments that were once considered rude and inconsiderate are becoming the norm.

Personally, I feel that Holy Spirit uses facial expressions and body language to cue my next actions. Do I shut up or speak up? Do I reveal something personal or not? Do I touch or keep my distance? Is the person lonely, happy, frustrated, etc. If I can't read the people, how can I minister to them?

The same goes for vocal inflections.

I won't say the birdie has landed for good. Ideas from the Seahawk's Super Bowl win continue bubbling up. But at this point I have a team-coach-parent-God-Holy Spirit shaped bird with Russell Wilson dimples. My mind's journey through Morph-land was good. At least I enjoyed it.

Well, I am off to town to get a balloon and flowers. My daughter and I are giving them to our senior basketball player. Tonight is her last game. A season of lasts and firsts is upon us again.

With love,

Jan and Licorice Kitty (Sleeping on top of the piano so she can watch her Welcome Mat mouse remains)





No comments:

Post a Comment