Wednesday, February 26, 2014

God's Secrets in Our Secret Places

Here is another question generated by the Sacred Secrets Bible study I am part of. Has God ever revealed secrets to me in our secret place, wherever that is? After contemplating the question, struggling with the question, and racking my brain over the question all week, Beth Moore's video this morning shouted out, "Of course he has!"

As we discovered today, the things we already know, that even the world knows, can become the secrets God whispers into our hearts when they are what we need most. Oh, how well I knew it, yet didn't know it. The video took me back to 2008, weeks after my husband entered the county jail. I have shared this story before, but today put it an a different context.

I once again recalled worshiping with my entire family at my son's church. It was an evening service. The sanctuary was filled. The music was loud, yet powerful. Voices, guitars and drums, rattled the rafters as the congregation sang a song they obviously loved, but the song was new to me. I just read the words on the power-point at first, then I began to sing. Finally I raised my hands and let the tears flow. The words of Matt Redman's song You Never Let Go had pierced right through me.

And I will fear no evil
For my God is with me
And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear?
Whom then shall I fear?
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me
This song had no new truths in it. I knew my God was with me. I knew he was holding me through the highs and lows, the calms and the storms. I knew he would never let go. That is just part of my faith as a believer. Most worshipers probably knew that too; however, as I stood there that evening, surrounded by family members as well as complete strangers, God told me a secret--something between just the two of us. In the intimacy of a secret place he whispered, "Jan, you have nothing to fear. No matter what happens, I'll never let go of you."

In that moment, Holy Spirit changed my long-confessed belief into our intimate secret.

So, to answer my question about God telling me secrets--yes, He does. I just wasn't recognizing them as such.

This secret remained secret for a season. Then He opened the door to the rooftop so I could loudly proclaim,

OH NO, HE NEVER LET GO. 
JUST AS HE PROMISED, 
HE NEVER LET GO OF ME!

 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6

 Living in his grasp,
Jan and Licorice Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment