Monday, February 10, 2014

How Worn is Too Worn?

Writing this post is the last item to be crossed off my to-do list today. I still need to work on my Bible study, but since I didn't put it on my list in the first place, I can't cross it off. Guess that means I need to add it if I want to cross one it off. But if I add it and then don't do it, I will not have accomplished all I set out to do today. Oh the complications of a simple life. (If I were into emoto-cons, I would add a smiley face here. But I'm not, so I won't.)

I have been busy most of the day doing those things I don't like to do. If I had vocalized all my work-a-day thoughts, I would not have a voice left. First there was the inner debate about which of the clothes cluttering up my closet and drawers were necessary and which were not. What do I wear? What do I not wear? What will I never wear or sometimes wear or occasionally wear? What will I never fit into again? After the long inner debate was finally settled, I crammed the rejects into two plastic bags and plopped them outside my bedroom door. They are going to a special place tomorrow--the women's shelter.

But the other clothing debate was more difficult. How frayed can a sleeve cuff be before it is too frayed? How big a rip across a pant leg or shirt elbow is too big? These are well worn clothes I am talking about--painting, yard working, driving on the mower clothes. They are soft, baggy, comfortable, and taking up room on my closet floor clothes. Well, they were. They are now dumped just outside the bedroom door next to the shelter-bound plastic bags. 

But my discussion with my self  about how ratty is too ratty isn't over yet. The pants with the torn leg are probably going to stay out of the closet, but the denim shirt with the elbow ripped out will probably come back in.  This particular discussion won't be over until the dreaded plastic bag appears.

Don't worry, the ratty stuff won't be going anywhere special unless the rag-bag is special place to go. 

There is another discussion that needs to be held sometime soon. It has been at least five years since it has come up, so it is time for another go-round. I need to know what plastic storage containers in the kitchen have lids? Which don't? Which lids without containers, and containers without lids, are at my kids' homes and will turn up later? Does it even matter? 

There is also a sixteen-year-old debate that must be revisited; how many cottage cheese and yogurt containers are too many? I know I have mentioned this before, but my collection is still growing. I added one cottage cheese and four yogurt ones just this evening. Sorry, I don't like throwing out plastic containers that I can't recycle. Maybe I should fill them with rocks and dirt and start building a fence or wind break or, if I am ambitious, a cabin for visitors. There must be something I can do with them. 

In the midst of today's 'whats, ifs, and whens' came moments of thanking God that no matter how worn out, ripped apart, used up, or frayed I get, I'm never thrown out or given away. I get recycled into something better. 

Just to be absolutely clear here, I am not talking about reincarnation. I am talking about being a child of the Loving, Living God who continually remolds, reshapes, renews, restores, and redeems until I am what I was meant to be--a woman living totally as Christ did.

I still need much work.

With love,

Jan and Licorice Kitty







No comments:

Post a Comment