Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hurdle Movers

I have never seen a track meet like the one Saturday, especially the girls' 400 meter run. This meet was so small, there were only two competitors in this particular race.  Both girls were seniors, and both girls were from the same school as well as best friends. Girl A was faster than girl B, so held a fairly large lead as they reached the 200 meter mark. That is when A suddenly realized there were hurdles placed in B's lane. By this time, B had also realized there were hurdles in her lane. Both girls' minds raced to solve the quickly approaching problem. They both saw disqualification staring them in the face if either one stepped out of her lane.

That is when the unexpected happened. Runner A, without leaving her lane, reached out, grabbed the hurdle from the lane to her right, spun around, placed the hurdle in the lane on her left, then sprinted until the next hurdle was close enough to grab. The "pick up-spin around-put down" move was repeated over and over until each hurdle was cleared away.

B could now breathe a sigh of relief. She didn't have to become a hurdler and she didn't have to risk disqualification by going into another lane.  The girls then crossed the finish line with huge grins on their faces, and I believe I heard a few giggles coming from them. (They later learned there would have been no penalty if either girl had left her lane.)

As for the spectators, those of us watching thought runner A had pulled a muscle or something when she appeared to lose her balance. As we began to realize what was happening, a murmur rose up followed by smiles, then laughter. By the time the girls headed down the final stretch, we were all clapping and cheering. This race of speed, quick thinking, and almost ballerina-like grace won't be forgotten any time soon.

This fun, funny race sprang to mind as I pulled into the church parking lot this morning. God's still, small voice asked me these questions, "Who have been your hurdle movers? Are you willing to change up your race plan to remove hurdles for someone else? "

Hmmmm.

As I walked across the parking lot I realized I had some material for the blog at my finger tips. I would give it some thought after church, then get busy writing. But my mind didn't wait for later. All during worship I considered my life these past six years. I could write about those dark days after my husband went to prison, those days that every where I looked hurdles seemed to appear out of nowhere. Then, soon after they had appeared, they were moved by my family and friends, my pastor, my therapist, and my new church friends. At exactly the right time they each, in their own way, reached out with encouraging words, financial and physical help, and prayer so I could continue on this new journey.

Everything I just said is only part of the story, part of the truth. The real truth is that the Holy Spirit, not people, is the ultimate hurdle mover. I think he probably moved some hurdles out of my way without my knowledge of a problem or potential problem. They were the hurdles I never had to deal with at all. As for the rest of the hurdles, he is the one who clued everyone in on the junk blocking my way. I only saw and heard about a few of the people involved, but I know he is the one who asked them to change their race in order to help me run mine. It might have been inconvenient or uncomfortable for them at times; however, they chose to be obedient hurdle movers anyway.

I am so thankful for those people. That is what I could write about--or not. I say, or not, because I still haven't answered the second question about my willingness to move hurdles hindering the progress of another person. Can I be that selfless? I pray I can, but I know that deep down inside me is the caveat, "If it's not too demanding or time consuming."

"Lord, help me be willing to hand you that selfish streak. Let me truly be a hurdle mover when asked to be one. May I help a brother or sister run the race you have before them. That is the only way I can win the race you have set before me."

Jan







No comments:

Post a Comment