Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I AM

I AM. That is God's name for himself. When Moses wanted to know what to say to the people of Israel regarding the marching orders to leave Egypt God said., "Tell them I AM sent me to you." Over and over in the Old Testament, I AM the Lord, I AM that I AM, I AM your Savior and Redeemer, and similar terms are used to identify the living God.

Jesus used 'I AM' statements throughout his ministry to identify himself as Messiah/Son of God/God Incarnate.
"I am the bread of life" (John 6:35,48,51).
"I am the light of the world" (John 8:12).
"I am the door of the sheep"(John 10:7,9).
"I am the good shepherd" (John 10:11,14).
"I am the resurrection, and the life" (John 11:25).
"I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6).
"I am the true vine" (John 15:1,5).
I AM isn't the only name of God. He is also known as the King, Provider, Warrior, Healer, Rock, Fortress, Shepherd, Comforter, Lover of my Soul, and on, and on, and on.

To most believers, this information is nothing new, but the speaker at a retreat this weekend expanded the I AM declaration statement in a way I really loved.

I AM who you need me to be when you need me to be it.

In Luke 13:34b Jesus laments over Jerusalem with the words, "How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!" With a love deeper than we will ever understand this side of heaven, he wanted the very best for the people. He wanted to be their savior, redeemer, protector, and giver of comfort and warmth. 

I truly believe he laments over us as a body of believers, as residents of cities and villages, and as people across the world just the same today as he did over Jerusalem 2,000 years ago. His love has not changed. When we experience sorrow and grief, he wants to be our comforter so he calls us by name into the comforting down of his breast. When we are ill, he wants to be our physician, so he calls us by name into the healing warmth beneath his wings. When we are under spiritual attack he wants to be our warrior and our fortress, so he calls us by name into safety beneath his mighty pinions. And  when life seems not worth living, he wants to be our savior so he calls us by name unto himself, that we might hear the passionate beat of his bleeding  heart.

But here is the rub. The great I AM always calls us to himself, but do we recognize his call? He knows our need before we do, so will we admit: that we even have a need, that we need help, that he is who we need, and only he has what we need when we need it?  Or, will we ignore his call, his provision, his safety, his I AM-ness to continue in our rebellious, selfish, do-it-our-self nature until we are crying out in pain and despair, "God, where are you?"

I pray we will hear him mournfully, yet lovingly, cry, "I want to gather you under my wings, but you are not willing," and change our ways by joyously running to him.

Let's run, little chicks. Let's run.

So thankful for my God. He is the great I AM. 
Jan




No comments:

Post a Comment