Thursday, August 30, 2012

Maui Prelude

Maui, Hawaii is a beautiful place to enjoy beaches, snorkeling, flowers, sunsets, shave ice, gelattos and warm winds. After living in the Pacific Northwest for over thirty-five years, it seemed strange waking up to temperatures that didn't require me to wear a sweatshirt and/or jacket, and long pants to go for a morning walk--not that I walked very far in the mornings.

I first walked to the sliding glass door, slid it open, discovered the air was already hot, looked for the feral kitties that sometimes slept on our lanai, inhaled the scent of the flowering hibiscus just over our railing, glanced at the speck of ocean we could see from our partial-view suite, then headed back inside.

I next walked to the sofa where I enjoyed my coffee and breakfast. The coffee was personally delivered by my son's wife. She and my son walked the mile to Starbucks every morning so they could be there when it opened at five. After enjoying their own morning drinks, they would then walk the mile back while carrying one for me. Breakfast was usually prepared by whoever was hungry first. We ate well.

While eating we finalized our plans for the day, then  packed whatever food or snacks were needed, packed up our gear, and checked our water supply and room keys.  When all was ready, we walked to the parking lot where we divided ourselves into our two cars and headed off for whatever was planned for the day. The cars usually went different directions with different people in them.

Some of us loved spending most of the day at a beach surrounded by snorkel gear, beach chairs, and boogie boards.  Others preferred to drive around and explore the country side and towns. Some of us loved checking out the shops and markets, others didn't. Some were adventuresome, others weren't, but they all snorkeled sometime during the day.

Monday was a day for just checking the area out.  The kids got their snorkel gear and beach chairs. We watched ghost crabs racing around the sand. Yes, they are very speedy little things.Three of us went to a Recreation Presentation at the resort, enjoyed fresh fruit and muffins, and one of us won a prize. With the purchase of a Gold Road to Hana Excursion we would get a second one free. Since the boys and their wives were going on a Zip Line Adventure Wednesday, my daughter and I decided to take the Hana trip.

Then came Tuesday morning. By 3:00 we were on the road to watch the sunrise on Haleakala. What a freezing cold, spectacular way to start the day. (More to come)

The entire day Wednesday was the Road to Hana Excursion. Souvenir shops sell tee shirts that say, "I Survived the Road to Hana. That is another story for another day.

Thursday morning I went with one of my sons, his wife, and my daughter to Honolua Bay on the north end of the island to go snorkeling. They snorkeled with the beautiful fish, turtles, and other snorkelers.  I sat in the shade wearing a tee shirt, capris, cap, and long sleeved cover-up. The feral rooster with his hens and chicks kept me amused.

After a morning at the beach we ate lunch at "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" in Lahaina (more later), then I was taxied by my son down the road to the Aquarium where I met my other son and his wife for an afternoon watching the fish with them. (more later).

Friday was a laid-back day at the resort for my daughter and me. We spent most of the afternoon lazing by the pool. I put on my bathing suit for the first time, lathered up with high powered sun screen, put on a hat and cover-up, planted myself on a lounge chair with my Kindle and read for around 1/2 hour before moving into the shade and coolness of the rock wall.

Then came Saturday, the day I knew I could no longer spend any time in the sun. My neck and upper chest had started itching like crazy and had turned a bright shade of red. It looked like a sunburn, but sure didn't feel like one. Because of a medication I take, I am to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun. I knew that and  thought I was doing job of protecting myself.  I had used a strong sun block whenever outside, and usually sat in the shade except for the 1/2 hour at the pool and at sunsets. In spite of being in the shade, I was still getting lots and lots of reflected sunlight off the ocean, the sand, the pool and the concrete. The pharmacist I talked to said I would just have to endure the itch. Now, almost a week later, I still have a red rash all over the same area, but it is fading.  The itch still wakes me up at night, but has subsided.

Just staying out of the sun would have been OK with me if that meant I could have sat in the shade, but I really, REALLY stayed out of the sun by staying inside as the pharmacist recommended. That was a bummer. Air conditioning and ceiling fans aren't the same as ocean breezes. Lamp light is not the same as sunshine. I didn't like it one bit, but I kept a stiff upper lip, sucked it up, played it cool, and said I was OK staying home. I figured I really had little choice in the matter, but that didn't mean I had to like it.  I didn't like it either.

After my days inside, I thoroughly enjoyed the evenings. We would walk to the beach with our beach chairs, sit ourselves down, and watch the swimmers, ball throwers, boogie boarders, bikini wearers, dogs, and kids. All the while, we anticipated the sunset and were never disappointed.

As we watched the sun set behind the clouds every night, rimming them with gold and turning them unimaginable shades of red, yellow, pink and orange, we all marveled at God's handiwork. The turquoise and aqua-blue shades of the water would slowly darken and change to deep blues, greens, and grays. The sky also gradually changed from light to dark to black. I can't even give names to all the colors. But there was a color I did know. It is one of my dad's favorites. He calls it sky-blue-pink.

Then there were the stars and moon.

As beautiful as the sunsets were, I didn't see one that could match some of the ones we have in our western sky. They didn't compare to the fire we see in our clouds. As I watched the beauty of creation I couldn't help but wonder what colors exist in heaven. Our eyes see such a small spectrum of color. What don't we see here that we will see there? But then I tell myself, "If the glory of God is what I will behold in heaven, who needs color?  These most glorious sunsets are probably just a teaser for what is to come."

"Wow, Lord, and thanks."





No comments:

Post a Comment