Thursday, August 16, 2012

Psalm 93

Yesterday morning I read Psalm 93 during my devotion time. Verses 1-2 say,

"The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty; 
the Lord is robed in majesty and is armed with strength. 
The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved. 
Your throne was established long ago; 
you are from all eternity." 

What does it look like to be robed in majesty?  What does armed with strength mean? Those are the questions I asked myself as I read. So, I got out my Strong's Concordance and checked out a few words. "Robed" had no surprise meanings.  Just as I thought, it refered to clothing, apparel, what one wears.  In other words, the Lord is wearing majesty.  Great.  I was no closer to understanding the sentence than I had been a few minutes earlier.

What is majesty, then?  Before looking it up, I thought back to my two grandsons' weddings I attended the last couple months. The brides were each absolutely beautiful, gorgeous, stunning. They each were robed in wonderful,white gowns of beautiful satin. One gown was beaded and had a long train. The other was floor length, beautifully cut and fitted. But neither girl was robed in majesty. Sorry, ladies.The grooms, handsome in their tuxes, weren't clothed in majesty either.

The word translated as "majesty" is Geut in Hebrew. It can also be translated as: glory, pride, arrogance, excellent things, lifting up, raging, surging (sea), rising (smoke).  

Once in the concordance I continued looking up words. The word "armed" is "girded" in some translations; ready for action or battle, belted,. After looking up "strength", I realized it had needed no explanation.  We all know what strong and mighty mean. What I thought interesting was that the Lord isn't armed with a sword, a sling shot, Uzzi, or AK47. He is armed with strength. He has no weapons. Hmmm.

After doing this research, I came to the realization that being robed in majesty and armed with strength isn't about what you wear or carry.  It is about who you are, the very essence of your being. Being satisfied with this understanding I went back to reread the Psalm.

While reading verse 3, I was awestruck as I remembered that one of the meanings of "majesty" was surging (sea). Here is what verse 3 says,

 "The seas have lifted up, O Lord, the seas have lifted up their voice; 
the seas have lifted up their pounding waves." 

Wow.

I thought back to a time several years ago when I intentionally drove to the beach to watch the storm-driven maelstrom called the Pacific.  The dune grass was covered with foam and froth stirred up by the wild, thirty-foot waves crashing on the shore. The wind-blown spray coming off the crest of the surging water stung my eyes even though I wasn't even on the beach. The roar in my ears was unbelievable. Trying to stand upright in the gale force wind while in awe of God's power and might was an incredibly moving experience.

Is this raging, surging, lifting up what the Lord is robed with I asked myself.

Finally,  I read on to verse 4.

"Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, 
mightier than the breakers of the sea--the Lord on high is mighty."

WOW again.  What I experienced that day at the beach was just a stroll in the park on a warm, sunny day compared with my Lord's strength. What I had experienced years ago was just a glimpse of what mightier than the mighty sea really means.

Psalm 93 ends at verse 5 and these words, "Your statutes stand firm; holiness adorns your house for endless days, O Lord."

With a Lord who is robed in majesty and armed with strength that my little mind can't even start to fathom, is it any wonder that his statutes stand firm, and holiness adorns his house forever?

The first three words of this Psalm I have saved until last.  Here they are,

"THE LORD REIGNS"

He is robed in majesty. That is awesome. He is armed with strength. Hallelujah! But he, who is from all eternity, reigns from a throne established long ago. Amen, amen, amen.

THE LORD REIGNS!

Have a God day.  I plan to.




No comments:

Post a Comment