Monday, November 12, 2012

They Grow Up So Fast.

Everything is ready I think. The table is set for four with flatware, plates, napkins, juice glasses, butter and syrup. The counter holds bowls, and cups of: melted butter, flour and other dry ingredients, soured milk substituted for buttermilk, and whipped egg whites. They just need to be combined into a wonderful, light batter. The griddle is ready to cook eggs and the waffle iron just needs to be plugged in. The fridge contains cold grape juice and four glass dishes of honey flavored Greek yogurt with mandarin oranges decorating the top.  Everything is ready.

So why am I not cooking? I am waiting for some grand-kids to drive themselves over here. Yesterday was a big day for them. At least in my book it was a big day. Not only did they come home from church without their parents, who headed to the big city for their own couple days away, but spent the afternoon home alone, fixed their own lunch and dinner, drove themselves to youth group and back, stayed alone all night, and are heading over here for breakfast whenever the last one wakes up.

I checked in with them a couple times during the afternoon and evening. They knew they had the option of having me over for awhile or even staying overnight. They also had the option of coming to my house. They assured me they were fine. I had to keep reminding myself that two of the three were very responsible teenagers. They even called me when they headed out for the church, and again when they got home. How in the world did they get so old and so responsible?

Now, at 9:30 am, I just got a call that the boys are up and ready, but sister is still sleeping. They will wake her up soon with the option of sleeping longer or coming with them. They will take some food to her if she still wants to sleep. I can just picture those guys figuring out their options and coming to a solutions.

As I wait, it is nice to have this "down" time to write. I'm not sure what I will be doing after the kids leave today. In my mind there are so many possibilities--everything from raking leaves in the drizzle to vacuuming in the warm house. From working on a jigsaw puzzle a granddaughter started to cleaning toilets and mopping bathroom floors. From watching a video to washing the inside of some of my windows. Of course I can do some of each or none of any.

It is nice that I have no "want to" or "need to" items on my list today. Enjoying my grand-kids is what it is all about. Yesterday they were chattering, smiling toddlers. Today they are scholars, athletes, artists enjoying their teen and pre-teen years. Tomorrow they will be married with children of their own. As I said, today is all about enjoying them as they are this day. Tomorrow these delightful kids will be gone. It will be interesting to see who God is creating them to be tomorrow.

Have a God day, all. I know my grand-kids and I will.

(The boys left a few minutes ago. We sat here for over an hour playing MindTrap, a fun, brain teaser, mind boggling game. They left to check on their sister who chose to sleep some more. Then they will straighten up the house and get their homework done. Their parents will be proud of them. I know I am.)

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment