Monday, December 10, 2012

Unforgettable Trip

It has been a year since I took a trip I will never forget. It was on a dark, rainy, typical Northwest night. The basketball game was over, my grand-kids had headed out to my car for a ride home, and I was searching for something in my purse as I stepped from the sidewalk into the parking lot. That was when the trip started.

My foot caught on the concrete tire block. Suddenly I found myself flying forward at breakneck speed.  I knew immediately I would arrive at my destination in record time. I did--face first on the high school parking lot. I sat there for a moment, surprised and dazed, to assess the damage. It didn't take long to realize I had a scraped knee, skinned palms, bloodied lip, twisted glasses, and broken tooth sitting in the middle of my mouth. Cute. I finally sat myself upright, picked up my purse and my pride, then walked, trying not to limp, to my car and the awaiting kids.

Just before reaching the car I had to remove the tooth from my mouth so I could spit out the blood that was accumulating therein. Now, what to do? What to do? Well, with my tooth between my fingers, I drove the kids home without letting them know what had happened. Once they had hopped out of my car and gotten into their house, I drove home, looked at myself in the mirror, and called my daughter who took me to the emergency room for treatment. Thankfully I hadn't bitten through my lip, broken my jaw, my glasses, or my hip. I hadn't even torn my pants!

Over the next couple weeks I saw my dentist several times. First to have a temporary prosthetic tooth created, then to have a mold made, and finally to have the permanent tooth implanted.

You probably wonder why I told you all this. For one reason only. I had a dental check-up today. When the hygienist had finished the cleaning she said," I love seeing your health teeth and gum tissue. Keep up the good work". My dentist, after a quick check of my x-rays, said, "After last year, this was sure boring". Sorry Doctor, although I love exciting trips, I don't have any face-plants planned for the near future. You will have to be satisfied with "booorrring" for a very long time.

Have a God day, and good day, a blessed day,

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment