Monday, March 25, 2013

He is Risen or Pass the Peeps

I was sitting in front of a floral shop this afternoon, and waiting for my daughter-in-law. While I sat there, I looked at the assortment of colorful banner and flags you can hang outside your home. "Happy Easter" most of them said in bright pastel colors. Each one was decorated with either cute, long eared bunnies, fuzzy yellow chicks, colored eggs of all sorts, or flowers ranging from tulips to daisies. This subtle messaging that lumped Easter, eggs, chicks, bunnies, and spring flowers into one big springtime holiday event reminded of my son's experience years ago.

He was living and going to school in Phoenix, Arizona. As Easter drew close, he went to buy a card to send home. He looked at card after card, trying to find just the right card with the right pronouncement of "He is risen." My son thought the lady next to him was doing the same thing until she suddenly exclaimed aloud, "I can't believe the Christians are trying to take over Easter, too!"

This story took place in the 80s. I wonder how many people think the same thing today. I'm afraid it is many more than we can ever imagine. To most folks, Easter is not about "He is Risen", it is more about pass the Peeps, espy the eggs, and chew off the chocolate bunny's ears. How sad.

The church has an incredible amount of work to do while it is still light. Let's invite someone to come hear the Easter message this Sunday, the message of not only "He is risen", but also of "He died for your sins". What good news of hope that is to a hopeless world.

Preparing for Easter,
Jan








No comments:

Post a Comment