Thursday, September 5, 2013

Hoping For a Storm

"New Post" the orange rectangle on the top of the page says. Once I click on it, I have to commit to writing something--at least I feel I have to commit. So, I finally clicked on the rectangle, and now sit staring at a blank screen.  Not only is my screen blank, my mind is blank also. I have nothing to say, but I have committed myself to New Post. Here goes.

The weatherman-woman-forecaster person said we have a big storm coming in this afternoon complete with heavy rain and lightning. I love the noise of a good electrical storm. The sounds of rain pelting the roof and whooshing through the gutters, the reverberation of thunder as the booms grow in intensity, and the moans and groans of windblown trees are exciting.

Exciting is all well and good, but storms can also be extremely dangerous. Flood alerts have been issued for low lying areas along our many rivers and streams. Forest fires are always a concern during a dry period like we have experienced this summer, and downed trees can block roads, knock down power lines, and damage homes. These are all possibilities for today and tomorrow. But where is the storm?

It is now 2:40 pm and the sky, though cloudy, is quite bright. There is no wind. The Doppler Radar doesn't show much of anything right now. At least the barometer is falling. So I wait for something that is expected, but not yet realized. My anticipation is high. I really hope for several inches of rain punctuated with rolls of thunder. I do.

But anticipation will not make it so. I know that weatherman-woman-forecaster persons are not always right, therefore I don't have complete faith in them. I have to face the fact that the storm might not come this way no matter how much I hope it will.

Thankfully, I can have faith in all that the Lord tells me and promises me--even when I cannot see any evidence of it at the present time. Hebrews 11:1 says
Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen.
American Standard Version
Yes, I question the weather forecasters' predictions. I know they are often wrong because I experience it week after week. I also question God at times, but not because he is ever wrong. I question because I don't often understand what in the world he is doing. I don't understand his timing. I don't understand why things happen the way they do. Understanding isn't necessary for faith, though. Because I experience God's faithfulness day after days, I know that all the "things" of God that I cannot see, are real, will come to pass, and are the best for me. 

I can't always rely on the meteorologists' predictions, but I can always rely on God and his Word.

Jan


No comments:

Post a Comment