Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Just Do It.

I recently did something I didn't think was possible.  I memorized the book of James.  Why?  Because it was a challenge we received in our women's Bible study. I really questioned whether my memory was good enough any more, but thought I would give it a try.  My motive was probably wrong since I wasn't desiring to plant the Word into the depths of my soul.  I just wanted to see if I could get very far.  It took six weeks to memorize all five chapters, but what a blessing it has been!

As I went over and over the verses, adding one onto another, chapter after chapter, I could see James' thoughts develop and feel his love and concern for his people. I heard his concern about fellow believers deceiving themselves, being careless in their speech, showing favoritism, being unwise, and ignoring God's leading. I heard his plea to pray earnestly, in faith, believing.  I heard his warnings to the rich and his concern for those who wandered away from the truth. I heard over and over again, "Persevere, persevere, persevere."  I also heard, "Do not merely hear the Word and deceive yourselves, but do what it says." James 1:22 NIV.

Those words are continually rattling around in my mind causing me to ask myself if I am merely hearing, or am I also doing.  Am I really praying with belief and not doubt?  Am I being tempted by my own desires? If so, am I  persevering in resisting the devils wiles?  Do I truly believe he will flee from me? James says "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you...Humble yourself before the Lord, and he will exalt you."  James 4:8, 10.

As all these thoughts came in and out of my mind, I remembered an incident that happened several years ago when my grandchildren were taking swim lessons.  There were around eight little first graders, including a granddaughter, lined up along the deep end of the pool ready to learn how to dive. They all listened intently as the instructor had them put their arms straight up in the air, over their ears, and palms touching above their heads. They were supposed to lean forward at the waist, hands pointed toward the water, and fall in. The instructor stressed the importance of keeping their heads down and their hands pointed at the water.  If they didn't, they would belly-flop, which wouldn't feel very good.

One by one the little tykes put their hands above their heads, bent at the waist, started to fall in and abruptly jerked their heads and hands up, completing perfect belly-flops. Finally it was my granddaughter's turn. I could see her concentrate on her instructions, "Put hands up, bend at waist, fall forward, keep head down." She completed her first dive. Hooray!

After class I asked her how she was able to do such a good dive when everyone else kept pulling their heads up.  Her reply was something like this, "It was scary keeping my head down, but the other kids said that belly-flops hurt. I didn't want to get hurt, so I followed my teacher's directions." She hadn't merely listened to the words, deceiving herself that she was now a diver, she did what the instructor said and avoided pain in the process.  She was also blessed with success.

I now go over the entire book at least twice a day--every morning and evening.  I don't want to forget it.  I want the words burned into my mind so that they will always come to the forefront in all I do.  I don't want it to be something I read and memorized, and so deceive myself.  I want to do what it says. Sometimes the doing is scary, but the not doing is scarier--it is sin. "So, whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin."  James 4:17 The doing is much better. "The man who peers intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, continues in it, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it, he will be blessed in all that he does." James 1:25

Why am I writing all this?  I have questioned myself whether to write it or not.  I don't want to sound boastful about the memory work, but I do want to encourage others to give it a try--to memorize more than a verse or two.  When entire sections are learned, such as an entire chapter, it is put into an entirely different context which touches us at an entirely differently level.  At least that has been my experience so far.

Now, I am trying to decide what to work on next.  Do I want to memorize another book or just a chapter?  I don't know, but am leaning toward Ephesians, one of my favorite books. Although, some Psalms might be a good change of pace.

Here is a question I would like to pose.  "Who would like to join me"

Note
I am sitting on my bed writing this blog.  As I have been writing, I rest my eyes and mind occasionally by looking out the french doors at the foot of my bed. I love the shades of green in the trees as well as the beauty of the pink rhododendrons that are presently blooming. I also have watched the rain come down in buckets, then drizzle, stop, and start again.  I have seen the sky darken.  I have also seen the sun shine. I love it all.  It is a constant reminder of God creative genius. Just when I thought I had experienced it all, a movement caught my eye.  Just outside my door, not more than 20 feet from where I sit, walked a deer, then a second, a third, and a fourth. Each one looked toward me, probably seeing only their own reflections in the glass, but I would like to think they saw me sitting here. Then each walked on. 
 God is so good.

.    








No comments:

Post a Comment