Thursday, May 10, 2012

On Eagles Wings

The sun is shining, the fruit trees are in full bloom, the grass is no longer wet from the past weeks of rain, and the birds are joyously singing and nesting.  How I celebrate spring and new life.  Part of me wants to  take a walk, pull weeds or just be outside. Yet another part of me wants to finish the book I am reading, The Sixth Covenant by Brock and Bode Thoene. But ever since I started writing these blogs three weeks ago, I have been constantly drawn to the keyboard with an urge to write something even if I have no idea what it will be.  That's the part that has won out.  So here I sit at my son's computer with no actual idea of what I am to write.

Tuesday I wrote about the eagles I watched several years ago.  Today I could write about the owls and the lessons I learned there, or I could write about eagles again--not the previous ones, but the ones I saw yesterday. 

I had been into town in the morning and was driving home in the early afternoon when they caught my eye.  All I saw at first were two large birds high above the road.  They weren't flying. They were almost motionless, large crows perhaps or vultures.  At second glance I saw their white heads. There was no doubt in my mind now.  I was seeing a pair of bald eagles.

I wanted to stop in the middle of the road and get out.  Obviously that would not have been a very wise decision so I had to drive further down the road to find a place to pull over. After stopping, I jumped out of my car and started scanning the sky.  The birds were no where to be seen.  Where had they gone? I had no idea, but their disappearance saddened me.  They had been so beautiful up there just soaring wingtip to wingtip. 

Several times during the day I thought of those eagles.  I wondered whether they were building a nest somewhere, or were they a courting couple. The answer didn't really matter.  Whatever it was, they were beautiful together.

Well, early last evening I was once again driving home and, as usual, searching the sky for whatever birds I might spy, be they hawks, robins, crows, herons, or starlings. Imagine my joy and surprise when those two eagles appeared again.  This time I could pullover immediately and I did.  Side by side, wingtip to wingtip they would soar, then remain motionless as the stiff breeze held them aloft. Suddenly, in perfect formation they would veer one way or the other and flap their wings once or twice before once again floating in the air above my head.

For the next ten minutes I stood mesmerized by their silent dance on the wind.  I felt their performance was for me alone.  Awe and wonder filled me as I considered the glory and majesty of God and his creation. Then came Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

"Thank you, Lord, for that aerial ballet and your wondeful promise.  Oh, that I may soar on wings like those eagles, with ease and grace in the face of a stiff wind and not grow weary. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment