Monday, May 21, 2012

Molt or Bolt?

I now have my new laptop.  Actually, it is a notebook--small, compact, and lightweight.  I will have adjustments to make, but isn't that what we all do on a daily basis anyway?  You people who have been reading my blog know life has been one big adjustment for me over the past years.  Please humor me a little as I relate an experience I had about four years ago that caused me to ask a curious question regarding change.  Here goes.

My husband was in the county jail, and I was trying to deal with acres of an un-mowed yard and field that he usually dealt with.  That was no longer an option.  All the tall grass was mine to mow, so that is what I was doing on this particular sunny afternoon.  As I sat on the mower, riding around in circles, I kept telling myself that I just wanted to get on the train and go see my Dad and sister in another state.  I wanted to escape. I had the money for the fare.  I had the time.  I had the desire. But, I also felt I needed to stay for my kids.  They had no option but to stay on their jobs, in their homes, and with their families. 

Back and forth, round and round I went, both on the mower and in my mind.  On one of my trips across the field to empty the grass-filled bags I spied a beautiful, quite long, snake skin laying on a pile of last year's grass clippings. Since I am always fascinated by such things, I got off the mower, picked up the skin, put it in my lap and continued with my mowing.

On one of my final passes across the field I looked once again at that skin and was smacked along side the head with the question, "Do I molt or do I bolt?"  I had just spent the last couple hours contemplating bolting.  Molting wasn't an option I was even considering.

For a snake to continue growing, it must shed its old skin which splits and begins coming off.  From what I have read, the most dangerous time of molting is when the skin on the head comes off because there is a possibility that the snake's sight will be affected for a short time.  The snake could become quite vulnerable during that period. All this trivial information on snakes rolled around in my head as I considered that crazy question, "Do I molt or do I bolt."

If I wanted the Lord to take my situation and use it to shape me into whatever he had in mind, I needed to molt, to shed off the old me with my known and my yet-unknown fears, angers, and whatever else there was.  I needed to make room for a new me, whoever that was.  The hard part of that whole idea was realizing I would have to become vulnerable. I would have to open myself up to not only my family, but also the Holy Spirit.  I would not be able to change if I weren't willing to face myself as I truly am, instead of seeing myself as I wanted others to see me. I wanted to project a strong, invincible, unflappable image.  That was not who I was.  It was then I realized I couldn't bolt and keep all the pain, sorrow, grief, anger etc. inside me.  I had but one choice, so I chose to molt.

As I am slowly changing, growing, and becoming new, I realize more and more that the process is never done.  It is a process and a slow one at that.  Just when I think I am done molting, something new occurs and I must once again shed old skin, become vulnerable, and discover more about myself as a sin-prone human, but also a loved, cherished child of God.  But most of all I discover more about Abba, my heavenly father, whose greatest desire is to have a close, personal relationship with me, his daughter. Molting, though painful at times, is wonderful.  I am so thankful I chose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment