Monday, April 22, 2013

A Stream of Worship

I have been thinking off and on today about a sermon several years ago that really made me stop and think, then go "Wow!" So lets talk about worship, shall we?

Most of my life, church was a place in which to sing hymns and hear sermons. As I looked back on those years, the good old hymns were quite varied as to themes and purpose. I remembered the ones about God and Jesus that had nice words and told a story.  In the Garden  told about walking in the garden early in the morning and talking with God. The Old Rugged Cross was the Good Friday standby. Then there were Jesus Loves the Little Children and Onward Christian Soldiers sung with great gusto and volume. I loved them all.

There were also those hymns about praising God and encouraging others to join in. These included Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, Praise God From Whom all Blessings Flow, and It is Well With My Soul. These, too, I loved.

Some hymns were just between the worshiper and God, songs that tell of our needs and desires. Take My Life and Let It Be, Amazing Grace, and I Need Thee Every Hour for example. Finally came the hymns of corporate praise. These were sung  neither about God not about my relationship with God. They proclaimed the glory of the most high God. These include All Glory, Laud and Honor, How Great Thou Art, and Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee. It was many years before my singing of great hymns was no longer "words", but true, heart-felt worship..

Christian music has changed so much over the years. I feel there are more songs praising God for who he is than songs about him. I like that, but some of the oldies like Amazing Grace can't be beat.

Worship teams with guitars, keyboards, and drums have taken the place of pipe organs and choirs in many churches today. Sadly, people still complain about music and styles they don't like. That is nothing new. Even Martin Luther was severely criticized about his music.

The heart of the musician has not changed though. Life's trials, sorrows, needs, joys, and celebrations go just as deep today as they did hundreds of years ago. They are only being expressed through different forms of music these days.  But the most important thing that has not and will not change is God himself. His Spirit still moves in the hearts of the composers and those who sing the songs.

Anyway, with all that being said, here is what has kept my mind busy today. Praise and worship is not something that begins with the music in church on Sunday. Likewise, I am not starting worship when I proclaim the wonder of the Lord in the quiet of my home because:

"In the center, around the throne were four living creatures...Day and night they never stop saying: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." 
Revelation 4:6b, 8b

Said by the 24 elders seated around the throne,

"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory, and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." 
Revelation 4:11

After the Lamb of God is found worthy to open the scroll and break the seven seals, John wrote,

"Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they sang: 'Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!' Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea and all that is in them singing: 'To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever! The four living creatures said, 'Amen,' and the elders fell down and worshiped!"
Revelation 5:11-14

Even more exciting is this. It isn't merely the heavenly hosts and created beings who have the capacity to praise God.

"the mountain and hills will burst into song before you 
and all the trees of the field will clap their hands." 
Isaiah 55:12b 

It is almost more that I can wrap my brain around.

This is how I see it. It's like tuning into a 24 hour Christian radio station that has been broadcasting day and night, but I have not been listening. When I turn my radio on, the station DJ doesn't suddenly wake up and play some music for me.  I do not start anything.  I only step into that stream of broadcast music which has been on the air for hours on end.

So, when I decide to worship with rejoicing or whatever else is on my heart, I am not starting anything. I am joining the worship of the 4 living creatures, the 24 elders, myriad angels, and all the created creatures who have be worshiping the Almighty since the beginning of time. My song will join not only theirs, but also those of the redeemed around the world. Then add, as well, that of the mountains and the hills. What a glorious sound that must be.

And my clapping, which I love to do? It is right there joining the rhythm of the cottonwoods, firs, and the baobab trees. Gotta love the percussion section.

Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord all the earth.
Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day... 
Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness;
tremble before him, all the earth.
Psalm 96:1,2,9


Having a new understanding of "streaming" worship,

Jan





No comments:

Post a Comment