Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Rain Thoughts

One of the things I loved about  growing up in Nevada was the electrical storms. The sky would get dark, the lightning would coming straight out of the clouds, flashing a brilliant white as it sped toward the ground. The ear-splitting thunder would shake the house within seconds. And the rain would come down by the bucketful, soaking the dry earth.This didn't happen often (2 inches/year), but when it did I absolutely loved it.

I remember those good times standing on the porch with my dad and siblings as we kids counted the seconds between the flash and the KABOOM, then listened as the rumble faded away. I remember one day in particular.

"One-thousand-one, one-thousand-two...one-thousand-ten. Ten seconds, that was two miles away."

 "One-thousand-one, one-thousand-two. Wow, only two seconds on that one! It's getting real close."

Then came the blinding flash and almost instantaneous BOOM--too close for comfort. We headed inside, ears still ringing, only to discover the lightning strike had been close enough to burn out our electric stove and refrigerator. But I still loved lightning and thunder.

Upon moving to the Pacific Northwest many years later, I looked forward to the first rain storm. I didn't have to wait long. The sky darkened a little, the rain came down a little, the wind picked up a lot, and the lightning came not at all. The only noise I could hear was the splat, splat of the rain on the windows, the slight gurgle of water from the downspouts, and the wind blowing the tree branches every which way. I was more surprised than disappointed in that storm. I had no idea it could rain without the heavenly fireworks. What a concept!

I quickly learned many other things about the rain storms here. First, it can rain without a storm or even dark clouds. Light gray clouds can and do produce rain. It can also rain without clouds at all (well sort of). I have gotten sprinkled on when the sun was shining and the only visible cloud  was not even over head.

I also had no idea there was such a thing as sideways rain . It didn't take me long to learn that it almost always rains sideways around here. Umbrella or no, just plan on getting wet. BUT if the approaching clouds are black, look out. The buckets of rain are coming and probably some hail, too.

I've adjusted to this weather. I still miss the lightning, though, but love the drips, drizzles, showers, rains, the spates that make up our climate. I don't mind getting wet from the water that comes down sideways. Will it come from north, south, east or west?  Or maybe all four directions as once, who knows?  It just depends on how the wind blows. And the wind seems to always blow.

I guess that is why I was as so surprised a few hours ago when I looked out my kitchen window. The sky was overcast, but bright. It was raining quite hard, but gently. And, surprisingly, there was absolutely no wind.  It was raining straight down. What a concept.

I was almost as surprised at the straight-down rain today as I had been at the lightning-less rain thirty years ago.

Lightning and thunder always remind me of my mighty God--the one whose power calmed the storm for Jesus and also conquered the grave. Today's gentle, almost soundless rain reminded me of my loving God--the one who wraps me in his arms, cares for me, and tends to all my needs. There was a calmness and shalom about that brief, cleansing shower from above.

Thank you, Lord, for the wonders of your heavens and the gifts it brings. Amen.

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment