Thursday, April 4, 2013

Discover Jesus Moment #8

Now that I am nine months into this blog, I don't remember what I have shared and what I haven't. I guess I am going to have to print them out so I can flip through the pages instead of going on the computer. I really prefer paper to a screen.

Anyway, I don't remember if I ever shared about a granddaughter's school conference several years ago. Her math teacher said he really enjoyed having her in class because she listened with her eyes. I knew exactly what he was talking about. This little girls gives learning her full attention. Her eyes shine and her face lights up at the least little thing. She is truly a joy to be around. I can just imagine  her in a classroom.

The teacher's comments made me wonder this, "When the Lord is trying to teach me something, do I listen with my eyes and give him my full attention, or do I let my mind wander off somewhere until I have a blank look on my face and a far away stare in my eyes?" My prayer for awhile was, "Lord, help me listen with my eyes, giving you my full attention. Let me sit at you feet in awe of what you are telling me. Let me listen, let me see, let me learn,"

My Discover Jesus Moment today presented an entirely different meaning of listening with my eyes. Here it is.

What I heard Jesus say after today's Bible study was, "Listening with your eyes is not only about giving me your undivided attention during Bible study or Sunday sermons. It's not only about praising God while enjoying his creation or singing during worship. It's also about listening to the hearts and souls of those you see with your eye


I ended up asking myself this question. When I see people around me do I merely see their presence with my eyes, or do I also listen to their heartbreak, unspoken pain, and silent anguish? When I help a child in school do I merely see him with my eyes, or do I also listen to his inner joy over one small, almost insignificant victory? In other words, to listen with my eyes, I have to hear  Jesus. He could be the man at the mission saying, 'I am hungry, thirsty, naked, and in prison, please feed me, clothe me, give me drink, and visit me." He could be the mother at church saying, "I'm scared, sick, depressed, tired, and feeling hopeless, please pray for me and give me hope." He could be the child struggling in math who says, "My parents say I'm a stupid nobody. Please notice me and tell me I'm important."

Listening with my eyes is hearing the cry of Jesus in everyone I see.

Jan.

No comments:

Post a Comment