Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Magnolia and The Hummingbird

I was looking out my glass front door this morning and enjoying the colors of spring. I have purple heather blooming as well as blue grape hyacinths, yellow daffodils, yellow and purple primroses, yellow dandelions, and a magnolia tree full of magenta flowers and buds. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a flash of motion. The tiny, darting hummingbird was easy to spot as it buzzed around the flowerbeds looking for a tasty sip of nectar. It didn't stop at any of the flowers, but zipped instead to the large tulip-like flowers of the tree. Most of them are still buds with no visible means of access. It tried. The ones that were just opening were too deep for a successful sip. And the ones that had fully opened had only a petal or two remaining, but no sign of  liquid. After buzzing and darting around a dozen or so flowers, it flew off to find its nourishment in a better place. Though beautiful, the magnolia failed to meet the hummingbirds expectations.

Overlooking the fact that magnolias are not made to product nectar for hummingbirds nor are they shaped right, I thought "Hmmm, That little bird came looking for nourishment, sought it in the most promising flower around, and went away with nothing."

Almost immediately the scripture came to mind that says "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." 1 Peter 3:15  As I pondered the verse, this is what I wondered .

When our light is truly shining, and our hope is clearly visible, people who are looking for hope are often attracted to us, just like the hummingbird was attracted to the magenta flowers on my tree. They will start seemingly innocent conversations, ask off-the-cuff questions, or hover close by waiting to be noticed. They want to know the reason for our hope. Will they find what they are looking for, asking for, thirsting for, or will we, like the tree, send them off with nothing but disappointment, discouragement, and soul parching thirst?  

"Lord, please don't let me be like my magnolia tree, presenting only beautiful flowers. Let me instead represent the hope of an empty wooden cross, and introduce them to the tree of life. Amen"

I'm looking forward to a totally enriching, renewing Sabbath. I pray the same for you.

Jan





No comments:

Post a Comment