Monday, August 19, 2013

Am I A Coed?

No one would ever call me impulsive--no one. My family will identify me as the one who goes shopping for clothes, walks around the aisles with a couple outfits in hand, then puts them back on the rack before leaving the store. My reasoning? I really don't need anything new. My ten year old skirt, blouse, or whatever still has a lot of wear in it. That is the way I typically operate.

Today must not be typical. I wasn't shopping. I was just looked at the catalog of fall courses at our community college. For some time now I have considered taking a writing class of some sort. I didn't know what kind, but something to improve what ability I have. Besides, I like school. (I was one of those kids who played school during the summer)

There, on the bottom half of a catalog page, was information for online courses. Interesting, I thought. Online means not having to drive in the rain and not having to find a parking spot. That is a plus. It also means no face-to-face interaction with profs or students. That is a negative. Either way, I wanted to check out the Beginning Writing course, so I logged on to the website. I learned about the professor. I read the six week syllabus. I considered the twice weekly assignments and final project. I thought taking quizzes and a final exam. I liked the challenges it would present, but is this something I needed to do?

As I have already said, I am not an impulsive person--usually. But today is different. I just signed up for six weeks of writing assignments that will give me tools I need to go forward. At least that is what I think will happen. I didn't pray about it. I didn't confer with anyone. I just did it. I am now a student.

Can I still be considered a coed at 70+?

Oh, Lord, please help me.

Jan


No comments:

Post a Comment