Thursday, August 22, 2013

How Can God Edit if I Don't Write?

How does one go about writing a book? Don't ask me. I don't really know. If I were planning on creating a novel, I think I would have spend quite a bit of time developing both my plot and my characters. I would have to know who the people were, how they dressed, how they spoke and how they reacted to and interacted with others. I would have to create a location or two for my story--the sights, sounds, smells and personality. I can imagine an index file containing card after card of character traits for each person and place. Yes, that is what I would have to do.

I think writing something autobiographical would be different. I already know the plot.  I already know who the people in my story are. I know the places they have been and the things they have done. What I don't know is how to tell the story that I want to tell. Where do I even start? But even more important is figuring out how to start.

I could begin by telling  a story of happy family times and imaginative grand-kids.
The evening was magical. Our three-year-old granddaughters each wore a beautiful, sparkling, fairy costume complete with wings. First one, then the other, flew through the living room, held securely high overhead by Papa. Each girl's face glowed. She was no longer in the presence of mere mortals. She was truly a beautiful fairy flying over her magic kingdom. How my husband loved playing with those special little girls.
I would share this particular story because I think it would grab the readers' attention, make them smile, and create a desire to read more of my story.

I could also begin this way
Every cell in my body feared that my husband was molesting our granddaughters, but he insisted he would never do anything to harm those precious girls. I believed him, and I was wrong.
That should get the readers' attention. Then what? My story has pain, sorrow, emotional shutdown, fear, depression, anger, shock, and many therapy sessions. I want my reader to go through it with me, but that isn't the reason for telling my story. I want to tell about hope, love, provision, forgiveness, encouragement, discovery, and revelation. My story is about faith and living under the wings of an amazing God. That is what I want to tell.

How do I do that? I guess, like I do with all my posts on this blog, I just start writing.The Lord will help me arrange, rearrange, add, subtract, edit and re-edit as I go along.  But, how can God help if I don't start?

Getting started soon,
Jan.


No comments:

Post a Comment