Tuesday, August 6, 2013

That's Cats For You

A feline adventure is in store for me over the next couple weeks, at least I consider it an adventure. I will be pet sitting again for my son and his family while they take a camping vacation. While they are gone, I will spend spend nights at their house. The dogs do fine. During the day, the pup remains tied on a long chain. She has a kiddie pool full of water, a dog house with her favorite towel inside, multiple toys, and shade--all within easy reach. The big dog spends her day on the front porch acting as a guard dog, or patrolling the surrounding yard, checking out the forest and neighbors' houses for anything that doesn't belong, and keeping an eye on pup.

In the afternoon, a neighboring college student takes the dogs on a run, then I come over to feed them dinner and stay the night. Pup sleeps inside in her kennel and big dog usually sleeps on the front porch, but sometimes comes in for some extra petting and ear scratching before retiring to her bed by the pup. The dogs won't be any trouble at all.

Then there are the cats, inside-outside felines they are--four of them--all hunters. Inside-outside means they come and go as they wish, sometimes eating in, sometimes dining out. The next few days I probably won't see them at all. This is what I think happens. One will come part way through their access area and see me sitting in the living room. She will go back outside to tell the others, "That strange lady is here again. Come on, let's go. We'll come back later." Then, when I do finally leave in the morning, they come in, have a bite to eat, and make themselves at home. When late afternoon comes around, the sentry cat will finally have to sound the dreaded alarm. "A key! A key! I hear a key! She's baaaack!" By the time I get inside, not a cat is to be seen, but I know they have been around because they left empty dishes in the utility room.

After several days, my adventure will begin because the furry, purring machines will begin thinking a warm lap would be nice to sit on. They will think my human hands should be petting their neglected heads. They also will think the opened newspaper would make a great place to lie down, even if it is being held. I know this is what they think. So they will finally venture in, slowly and with caution, to check out the strange lady sitting in their dad's chair. Tobias will be in charge. Is her lap warm? Check. Do her hands pet and scratch with expertise? Check. Does her reading material crackle when rubbed against? Check. "Okay, gals, she passes. Hey, Lily, bug off! Oreo, Riley, do I have to box your ears? I'm first. Lily, wait your turn. I did the testing. I get to enjoy the luxury. (knead, knead) Purrrrrrrr".

That's cats for you, but I love their company on these cool evenings.

Awaiting my dog and cat adventure,
Jan




No comments:

Post a Comment