Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Preying Coyote

There we three stood at 9 o'clock this morning, but each of us was aware of only one other. I was looking out my son's kitchen window at Pup, who was fixed to his chain. It was just the two of us in my little world--Pup and me.

Completely unaware of my observing eye, tied-up Pup was intently looking off to the left somewhere, totally  consumed with an object of extreme interest. Her world, as far as she knew, consisted of herself and  just one creature--a coyote! Yikes.

And the coyote, a large. tawny fellow, was standing motionless in the yard not more that fifty feet from Pup. His world consisted of only two beings--him and Pup (tied-up Pup). Double yikes!

When I realized that Coyote was a coyote and not a small deer, I opened the glassed door from the dining room and stepped outside, just a little way I might add. Coyote trotted off a few yards, then stopped to check me out. Pup, seeing her visitor run a little, acted like she was ready to go play with this new found canine who came for a morning romp. I came further out of the house. Coyote trotted off a little more, but not nearly far enough for me. He again stopped, looked at me, and waited for me to make my next move, which I did. I jumped toward him, waved my arms, and yelled, "Get out of here, you stupid* coyote." He took off into the undergrowth and, I assume, into the forest.

So, Pup is no longer tied up in the back yard for the day. She is in an 8 foot kennel by the garage with a few toys, her blanket, and some fresh water. She doesn't have nearly as much room to run and play, but at least she isn't staked out as easy pickings for someone's dinner.

She probably would have been okay on her chain during the day because I think coyotes like hunting early in the morning and in the evenings, but I don't want to take a chance. I am also hanging around my son's house today; and not going to my house to putz around. If Mr Coyote puts in another visit without an invitation, he will be yelled at, told to get out of here, and called Stupid again. This place is off limits.

No, a coyote is not a lion. No, a coyote does not roar. But I sure thought of 1 Peter 5:8
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
But I then thought of James 4:7
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
As I have been mulling over this whole morning encounter, here are some things that have come to mind:

  • Pup was tied/chained/bound up because she hasn't learned what she can and can't do, or where she can and can't go. She used to stay with Big Dog, who is well trained, but that has changed. She now tends to venture off into parts unknown, doing what she wants to do, and getting herself into trouble. Just last evening she went to the neighbors house, trotted through the open door, grabbed a stuffed toy, and trotted back home with it. Of course the neighbor was hot on Pup's wagging tail. Young One has so much to learn.
  • Being chained makes Pup extremely vulnerable to preying enemies.
  • The enemy is always on the lookout for an easy victim.
  • The enemy will flee when challenged by one much stronger and bigger than he.
  • What are the things that keep me bound--the resentments, fears, doubts, and un-Godly thoughts that make me easy prey for the enemy? 
  • As I obediently submit to my master, my chains will be loosed and the enemy will flee.
These are just a few thoughts I've had today. 

By the way, I haven't seen the coyote around this afternoon, at least not yet, all four cats are accounted for, Big Dog is sleeping by the front door as usual, and Pup, well, Pup is whining to be let out. She needs to learn patience, too.

In the meantime, I'm will check to see what chains I might have that make me easy prey for roaring lions. Whatever form they take, they need to be removed by the best chain remover I know. He is also a Master Carpenter. Jesus Christ

Jan
John 4:4 He that is in me is greater than he who is in the world.

*Stupid is a word we do let the grand kids call each other or even use, for that matter.




No comments:

Post a Comment