Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fathers' Day

Father's Day brings such a mixture of emotions to my mind. I think of my own dad who turned ninety-two this year. We are alike in many ways, but oh, so very different in others. I think the main reason Dad and I were so close while I was growing up was my love of math and science.  I loved spending time with him figuring out how much sand, lime, gravel, and cement would be needed to pour a concrete footing for a retaining wall. Of course that was after we had already calculated the number of cubic yards we needed to fill the forms.  Oh yes, we also had to determine how much re- bar we needed, etc., etc. I have so many good memories of designing projects with Dad.  

He also taught me to reconcile a bank statement with the check book.  To this day, I love the challenge of finding even a two-cent error and correcting it. While designing homes as a way to supplemental his income,  he taught me to ink and letter his architectural drawings, but I will admit  it was my mom who taught me to check those same plans for places to store the brooms, vacuum cleaners, sheets and towels--things my dad occasionally overlooked.

These life-forming events played a big part in shaping me as a person, but my most favorite memory as a small child is of sitting on the bathroom counter watching Dad shave.  He would soak his face with a steaming washcloth, lather up his cheeks with shaving cream from a can, and then (drum roll, please) dab some on my nose to the accompaniment of this little girl's giggles. I loved those morning times with him and sort of wished I could do the same thing someday.

Thank you, Dad, for being my mentor, teaching me life skills, and letting me shave with you in the mornings.  You help me become who I am today. Happy Father's Day.

I also think of my own sons on this Father's Day.  As I was thinking about what to write today, I was surprised they came to mind before my own dad did. Maybe that is because I spent yesterday with my family celebrating a grandson's college graduation. My grandkids did a lot of joking and kidding about, "Oh, is tomorrow Father's Day?" That's because they have great dads.

My sons played with their kids, took them on hikes, vacations, and camping trips, encouraged their varying interests, participated in school and church events, taught them to pray and to serve, to respect and to work, to save and to tithe, to love and be loved. But above all, they showed their children, by example, what it looks like to love, worship, and serve Jesus Christ; thereby showing them what it means to love God.   I am so proud of the God-fearing men they have become, the fathers they are, and the amazing grandchildren with which they have blessed me.  Happy Father's Day, boys.


 I also want to acknowledge what a wonderful dad my son-in-law is.  He, too, is a man of God who teaches his children scripture and the things of God whenever the opportunity arises. His heart is large and his love my daughter and grandchildren is great.  I'm thankful for him.

The hardest part of Father's Day for me is acknowledging the positive roll my husband played in the development of my our amazing sons.  It is hard for me so look past the "error of his ways" to see the good examples he set in so many ways. His love of hiking and camping continues in his sons.  His strong belief in returning to God the things that are God's by tithing continues in his sons.  His willingness to stop whatever he had planned so he can help someone else continues in his sons.  His helping out in the kitchen or with the housework when needed continues in his sons.  He was a good dad and a good example.  Happy Father's Day, and thank you, Father of our sons.

Now, as I have recognized that fact, I need to once again ask forgiveness for the resentment that arises whenever I think of the destructive behavior he exhibited, the harm he did, and the healing that still needs to take place.  I must also be forgiven for my unwillingness to acknowledge him for the good he did and the father he was.


This all brings me around to the Father of all Fathers on this Father's day,  the Heavenly Father who teaches how to truly love, serve, accept, care for, help, give, forgive...  More than that, he shows by example.

"Lord, forgive me for my resentment and unwillingness. Let me be a more willing student, a faster learner, and a more accurate imitator. Let me sit on your counter and watch you every morning, then go and do what I see you do.  Thanks for being my dad.  Happy Father's Day, Abba." 



No comments:

Post a Comment