Monday, June 11, 2012

Oh, What a Beautiful Day!

For several days now I have wondered what in the world to write. I thought about sharing how I spent this last weekend.  I left for my son's home on Thursday evening to attend my grandson's Air Force commissioning on Friday and college graduation on Saturday.  I loved the pomp, the excitement, the achievements, the crowds, the good food, and family. The traffic wasn't too bad either, though I must admit I wasn't driving. But the weather Friday was sooooo coooold, frigid actually, but we all survived. I've decided not to write about that

I considered writing about the two books I am presently reading and enjoying.  One is The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson and the other is Drawing Near by John Bevere.  Both books are challenging, thought provoking, and inspirational.  They are challenging me in my faith walk.  I've decided not to write about them either.

Maybe I'd write about my inner struggle over a decision I had to make. Well not exactly struggle, but more of a mini-discussion I had with myself.  Today is my husband's birthday.  I hadn't planned to go see him because I had other commitments for the day. Then, last night, those commitments were removed from my plate and I heaved a sigh of relief.  I would have the whole day to myself.  So, as you can see, I could make the one hour drive to see my husband if I wanted to. The time was available, but I didn't want to go.  I had nothing to tell him, and I had sent him a birthday note. Besides, I have a doctor appointment out of town tomorrow that will take up most of my day. So I decided not to go. I'm staying home today. Was the the right decision?  I don't know.  I didn't pray about it at all.  I just decided to stay home.  There is something about the absence of people that I find relaxing and comforting.  But I won't write about any of that situation.

So instead of writing about my weekend, my reading material, or my inner conflict, I will write about this morning's color and sounds.  I woke up to a blaze of light in my backyard that made my  rhododendron glow a hot-pink.  The yellow-green of the sun-drenched grass contrasted against the deep green in the shade almost hurt my eyes.  "Oh, what a beautiful day!" sang my heart.

I threw on yesterday's clothes and went out for a short walk.  I wanted to make mental notes of what I would see and hear of God.  I expected to hear the twittering of sparrows, juncos, goldfinches and other small birds as they fed, talked, and marked territorial boundaries.  Surprisingly, those sounds were completely absent--so too were the raucous caws of crows and jays. Listening more closely I heard only the sighing of the wind as it passed through the trees.

The world might have been still to my ears, but it shouted to my eyes. Rhodies clad in purples, reds, pinks, yellows and oranges fill the yards along my one-lane road. White daisies, yellow buttercups, orange red-hot pokers, purple lupine and myriad irises danced in contrast.  A golden-chain tree stood out against a dark green cedar.  Spruce, fir, hemlock, and alder added too many shades of green to count.  "Oh, what a beautiful day!"

As I turned to head back home, some starlings flew overhead speaking their unmistakable language.  A little farther down the road I heard blackbirds calling from the tall grass.  A pair of crows challenged in reply from the droopy-topped hemlock.

God has everything under control this morning. My eyes and ears give praise for the beauty surrounding  me.  "Oh, what a beautiful day!  Thank you, Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment