Thursday, May 30, 2013

Comforters

As I have mentioned previously, it is fun to just sit down and start writing without having any idea about a topic beforehand. Take this morning for instance. I sat here on my couch, ate my oatmeal with craisins and walnuts, and checked out Face Book. At the same time I was trying to decide how I might start my blog--not what was I going to write, but what the first sentences would be about. The two blankets/throws on the back of my couches looked like a good place to start.

Blankets it would be. One is a prayer shawl/lap robe made out of a soft, variegated gold/aqua/rust yarn. As I have found out, prayer shawls are knit by people who pray for the person who will receive them. Mine was given to my pastor at a pastors' conference as a love gift to me. This was soon after my husband's arrest. The shawl is pretty. It is soft. It is cuddly. Though not very warm on cold winter nights, it is perfect for summer evenings. I really love it.

The other is a very large, thick, soft, fleece blanket with teddy bears on it. One of my daughters-in-law made it for my birthday (or Christmas) many years ago. During the cool summer evenings it is way too much, but it is wonderful on cold winter nights and at track meets. I really love it.

Two blankets, two uses, but both are wonderful. As I was thinking about my blankets I thought of the comfort they bring. I guess that is why certain ones are called comforters, isn't it. Here comes the fun part. My mind immediately jumped to The Comforter, as in the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said, "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Comforter, that will be with you forever--  the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him for he lives with you, and will be in you. I will not leave you comfortless. I will come to you." John 14:16-18

There were times after my husband's arrest and imprisonment, especially in the first couple years, that I tried to completely cover myself up with the prayer shawl. And I do mean completely--from the top of my head to the bottoms of my feet. Although it was way too small to do the job, it  still provided a means of escape. It provided a sense of security. It also carried the prayers of some unknown needle artisan--not literally of course, but I knew someone had been praying for me while knitting away her hours.

At other times, the prayer shawl provided just the warmth I needed while I took a little nap. I'd put a small pillow under my head, kick off my shoes if they weren't already off, position the little shawl the best way I could for maximum coverage, and doze off. It was perfect.

As for the big, thick, fleece blanket, it was a constant companion, especially in those early days of adjustment and struggle. I would sit in the recliner with my feet up, my head back, and the comforter drawn all the way up to my chin. I would then wiggle and jiggle my feet around until the blanket was securely tucked around them. Finally, I would bring my arms beneath the teddy bear fleece and settle in. I was as snug as a bug in a rug. My blankie provided everything I needed--warmth, safety.

Of the two comforters, the teddy bear fleece is the work worse. While the shawl is light weight and somewhat lacy, the fleece is sturdy and thick. It was a lifesaver during track season. On those cold, blustery, rainy days at least four of us could huddle under it and keep relatively warm. Sometimes it was just me until some track kids spotted me and climbed under. Other times it was family members who joined me. Whatever the case, I was never alone for long. On warmer days, when not covering us, it became wonderful padding for those who hadn't brought cushions to sits on. Then when it was warm and sunny, it was spread out on the grass for us all to sit on. No matter what, it was always with me, providing what was needed.

It needs to be washed.

I may need two comforters to meet my physical needs during changing weather and circumstances, but I need only one comforter to meet my spiritual and emotional needs--The Comforter. In times of sorrow and distress I can feel his presence, the warmth of his arms, and  imagine being securely wrapped up from head to toe, snuggling in--as snug as a bug in a rug. Just perfect.

He is also my covering as I rest or sleep--always there, not too heavy nor too light, just perfect.

I could go on and on with this analogy, but won't. My personal use of shawls and blankies is probably quite different than yours. Because of that, my images and understanding of The Comforter could be influenced quite differently, too. So, how do you use blankets/comforters? Do they give you any new insights into The Comforter, the Paraklete, the one who comes along side?

Staying snug as a bug in a rug, warm and safe with The Comforter who is always there,
Jan
 

No comments:

Post a Comment