Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Joy of Words

While washing up my dishes this morning, I was thinking about using alliteration in my blog. The first thing I ever wrote using this form was the story of the Prodigal Son done with the letter "S". It started off something like this:

"Let me share with you the story of two very special sons, their stooped servant, and their sire, The Squire."

It proceeded on:

"Second son slung the sack of silver 'cross his shoulder, and sauntered down the stone strewed street...He savored scintillating sundaes, sped in shiny Sentras, slept with sexy sirens 'neath satin sheets, and sipped sweet cider through a straw."

I love the sounds of the "s" words.

While in therapy I wrote "Larceny and Loss or Life and Love " which I published on the blog May 28, 2012. In it I said,

"My looking, my listening became lost in the labyrinth of my loneliness. The lilt, the laughter, the lavishness of life I longed for was laced with cries of "Larceny!" I languished in my loss"
.
On a different occasion I wrote about seductive sunshine stroking my shoulder. Although I love the challenge and the hard work to write this way, I love the results even more. The drawback is the time it takes. Finding the right word isn't too bad, but getting the flow and the rhythm is the challenge. I want it to read smoothly, so I edit. edit, edit.

For the past fifteen minutes I have tried to discover what spring is like in alliteration. I haven't been able to  focusing in on or narrow it down to just one letter. Here are just some ideas that came to mind while I was mulling it over. Spring is pouring, pelting precipitation pounding pink petals. It is soft, silent sprinkles soaking the soggy soil.  It is beautiful blossoms blessing my being, and green, growing grass gracing my gaze. Spring is smoother seas,  squawking seagulls, and shiny shells scattered across the sandy shore. Spring is giddy, giggling girls gathered in the garden, gabbing about guys. And, it is bantering baseball players batting balls, bounding around bases, bemoaning bad calls, and boasting of base hits and bunts.

It doesn't matter what the season or what the weather because whatever it is, I can use words to create my own world. I can create dancing dandelions and rasping reeds, crying clouds and smiling sunbeams. I guess what I am saying is this. I love language because it can bring anything to life. It can add color and emotion just through the sound of the letters and the meter of the lines. How wonderful is that?

"Thank you, Lord, for words. You may have confused the peoples' language back in Babel, but thank you, thank you, thank you for not taking it away altogether. It is truly a gift to be treasured.  May I use the words at my disposal to praise and exalt you, build others up, express my heart and soul, and celebrate the wonders of your hands. Then there are times, Lord, I am at a loss of words for what I am feeling. Thank you for those times, too."

Oh, the joy of words!
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment