Monday, May 6, 2013

Running the Best I Can

Saturday was a beautiful day to attend a track meet. We, the family contingent, all sat on a blanket in the sun watching the high and long jumps for the first one-and-one-half hours, then moved out of the sun's intensifying heat into the coolness and shade of the stands. From there we continued cheering for our team members as well as other athletes--especially in close races. The more intense the race, the louder the yelling. It didn't matter what school they were from. We just cheered to encourage them to push a little harder, give a little more. I think some kids surprised themselves at the strength they found just before the finish line,.

Victors weren't the only ones we cheered for. Even the runners in the middle of the pack received an ear splitting, "Go, go, go!" Family, friends, and spectators alike got vocally involved in the competition. One thing about track, even the kid who has been lapped in the distance races and finishes a minute or more after the winner has crossed the finish line gets a big ovation from the crowd for persevering and finishing the race.

Then come the accolades. No matter what place the athletes finish, coaches give them high-fives, the team members hug them, and people in the stands say, "good job" as the kids return to their bleacher seats. One of the best parts, though, is the huge grin on the face of the teenager, who might not have even placed, who says, "I got a PR!" (personal record) In other words, "I tried my hardest, did my best, and got the best time or distance of my life."

There were a lot of P.R.s for our team. In some events, the heat helped the kids, but in the distance events, the heat made it harder. Our kids are used to running in 40 degree weather, not 70+ degree. But, despite dry mouths, sweaty bodies, and a few dehydration issues, they still got P.R.s.

Whenever I watch these events I always think back to Hebrews 12:1 about running the race with perseverance before a great cloud of witnesses. I love the idea of being cheered on and encouraged by not only my family and friends here on terra firma, but also by family, friends, and other saints who have gone before--that great heavenly cloud of witnesses. Whether I come in first or last, I will have finished the race with perseverance and the crowd saying, "Good job!"  When the great race is over, and the awards ceremony is underway, each finisher will receive his prize with the words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant!"

In that moment, every drop of sweat mopped from my brow, every pulled muscle and aching joint, every battle with dry mouth and dehydration, each day of extreme exhaustion or self doubt, each dreaded strength building exercise, and each instruction and correction by the Coach will have been well worth it. On that day, every completed lap I've run, every high-five, smile and hug I've received, and every word of encouragement given by the the Coach will become fond memories of a race well run.


In training, and running the best I can,
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment