Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Freewill Parable

I love finding surprises. As I cleaned out desk drawers full of miscellaneous items last week, I stumbled across a yellow file-box filled with index cards, most of them blank, but not all. Some of them contained notes I had written several years ago. One was a granddaughter story I had forgotten about.

It seemed that my five-year-old granddaughter and her mother had differing opinions about that night's bedtime routine. Mom was tired, had a migraine headache, and wanted to retire early. Child was full of energy, wanted another ice cream snack, and wanted to watch a video. "I'm not sleepy," was her reasoning.

Not up to dealing with a confrontation, Mom looked at her blonde, tousled-haired daughter in footy pajamas and sighed, "Okay, if you think you can be your own boss, I'll let you. You know where the ice cream is. Eat is all. There is some candy hidden behind the cereal bowls. Eat that if you want. Put on a video. Stay up as long as you want, but be ready for kindergarten in the morning. I am going to bed. Oh, don't forget to check the doors and turn off the lights before you come upstairs. Good night. Have fun."

With that, Mom headed upstairs to her room. A heartbreaking wail followed her. "No, Mommy, don't go upstairs. I don't want to be the boss. I don't want anymore ice cream. I don't want to turn off all the lights. I want to be with you." P.J. girl then scampered up the stairs and hugged her mother.

As Mom tucked the headstrong daughter into bed, the child said, "I'm sorry, Mommy. I love you."

"Love you, too, Boo-Boo. Sleep tight."

The day my daughter recounted that story, I thought what a wonderful illustration of free will that was. We know what God expects of us. He's the boss, after all. But so often we want to do whatever we want to do, and do it right now. It might not be the right thing, or even the wise thing to do, but we think we know what's best. We can be my own bosses. "I've got this, Lord."

God says, "Go, do what you think best. When you learn what you have to learn and are ready to join me, you're more than welcome back. I'll be watching for you."

I pray that during those times in my life that I want to do my own thing,  I can honestly, and in a timely manner, cry out, "I really don't want to be the boss; I just thought I did. I want to be with you. I'm sorry, Lord, and I love you."

Thankfully, we have the story of the prodigal son to remind us of our Father's love in situations like this. Luke 15:11-32

Not wanting to be a headstrong, stiff-necked daughter of the King,

Jan, (Licorice Kitty and family),

(The kittens now climb onto the bed for their naps. Coming back down is a humorous sight. At least one comes down head first, leaping the last couple feet. Another has learned to turn around and back down the overhanging blanket.)

No comments:

Post a Comment