Saturday, November 16, 2013

One of Blue Pig's Tales

The tile floor beneath my feet is cold. To correct the problem, I put an old bath mat under the desk to provide a bit of insulation. Somehow or other, the mat is now all scrunched up, moved around, and doing nothing but irritating me. I have taken my fuzzy socks off because they are bothering my toes. And then there is my hair. I washed it, but didn't apply any mousse. Now it just wants to fall in my face. Grrrrr. The pink, Maui baseball cap I put on does help a little. So, now that my hair is somewhat controlled, my feet are free of their captors, and the mat under my feet is my only discomfort, what else can I complain about?

It has been one of those days. You know the kind I mean, but maybe you don't. It's been the kind where all I've accomplished is making my bed, taking a shower, preparing and eating three meals, feeding the cats, paying some bills, and writing 350 words for my book. That is it, all, everything, yet nothing, absolutely nothing.

All of today's dishes are still in the sink and patiently waiting for me to give them my hot, soapy water bath and rubdown followed by a quick dip in the rinsing pool--my special spa treatment--at least I think they're patient.

Three months worth of paid bills, lab reports, bank statements, insurance information, etc., are neatly piled on the living room couch and surrounding carpet--all patiently waiting for their trip to the accordion file. That will be a nice change of scenery for them. They must have gotten tired of decorating the top of my dresser for all those months. Although, the blue piggy bank standing proudly beside their disorderly pile was probably good company. He has good stories to tell, like the time...

..."I was just a young little porker and bursting with pride. I was proud to be blue. There are very few of us around, you know, especially as big as I am. In fact, all my siblings are blue too--specially painted by a caring grandmother for all her kids and grand-kids. Our owner, Jan, is one of the kids. That's how I got here.
"Anyway, my tummy was full of pennies, nickles, and dimes, and maybe even a quarter or two. Since I'm not very good at counting, I lose track faster than my grandpa running for the slop bucket, I don't really know how much money I was guarding. But I was proud of what I had.
"This day I'm telling you about scared me to death. If I had a real heart, it would have stopped beating because all of a sudden I was snatched off this very dresser, turned upside down over the bed and shaken up and down, back and forth, and every sideways there was. Some little person was shaking me and laughing as all my coins started falling out. Nickles, dimes, and jillions of pennies (at least that is how many I counted) tumbled out of my little coin slot.
"I squealed, 'Stop shaking me. There's a plug in my tummy for the coins to exit. Don't shake me. I'm getting dizzy.' The little tyke just kept shaking. I don't remember much after that. In fact, all I remember after the shaking stopped was a little voice saying, 'Thanks for the money, Nana. I hope my class wins the penny drive.' That made me very happy and very proud."

Yes, I do think my little blue pig told the pile of papers lots of wonderful stories. I hope they don't miss Piggy too much; however, at this very moment, the couch is probably telling them about the little mouse that popped from between their cushions while I was reading a story to a granddaughter. I was quite startled, but just kept on reading--didn't want to scare a sleepy, comfy little girl. Yes, that is probably what's happening in the living room as I type.

I'm ready for a cup of hot tea and a trip to bed, but the dishes are getting restless. Before they revolt, I had better give them their spa treatment.

Anticipating a good night's sleep, then church in the morning,

Blessings to all,
Jan, Licorice Kitty and Kittens

(I gave the kittens four-foot-long, heavy-duty mailing tube to play with. When one heads into the tube, another waits at the other end, then pounces on her litter mate as she exits. So cute.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment