Thursday, November 21, 2013

Trials of A Mother Cat

What do a turtleneck shirt, fisherman knit sweater, and Mickey Mouse hoodie have in common?
They are all keeping me warm on this chilly, as in cold, day.

What does a pile of sleeping six-week old kittens have in common with their wide awake sibling? Absolutely nothing.

The awake one refuses to stay in her comfortable room. I tell her, "It's nap time little kitten. Back in your room you go. Now curl up with the rest of the kids. Night, night."  I put her on the pile of napping fur-balls, and no sooner high-step over the toy box that blocks the doorway than she is also over the box and bounding for the living room.

Licorice is not happy about the situation at all. I've found her lying in the middle of the living room floor and peering under the couch at her wayward child. I've found her on a dining room chair and looking under the table at the adventurer who is trying to climb a table leg. All the while she is not only talking to, but also scolding the kitten. When Licorice isn't keeping a sharp eye on her explorer, she is checking on the sleeping ones. Then, if she hears the refrigerator door open, she is immediately at my feet begging for a handout.  Oh, the trials and busy-ness of a mother cat.

As I watch Licorice fret and stew over four little ones, I wonder what God must go through with all his brood of wayward ones. I'm glad he is God.

*******
I just left to check on the cats because the house was suddenly quiet. I'm a happy mama now. Prodigal kitten made her way back to the pile and is sleeping with the other three. Licorice is stretched out on the toy box trying to get some shut-eye while the kids are sleeping. No one is sneaking out of the room on her watch.

All is well around here

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment