Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Fighting Laptop Withdrawals

Living without my laptop for three days was a challenge that I faced head on and didn't go crazy in the process. It wasn't easy, though. Saturday night the battle between the minuscule words on the pages of my Amelia Peabody (she's the heroine, not the author) novel and my dim reading light raged until 8 p.m. Knowing my eyes were succumbing to fatigue, and not wanting to admit it, I prided myself on going to bed early. As usual, pride goeth before the fall and I awoke three hours later. My body must have thought it was morning or something, but that is a whole other story.

Sunday, after battling the weather as I drove to church and home again, I joined family and friends to watch our favorite football team come from behind and celebrate an overtime victory. This is when my fingers started twitching. The first signs of laptop withdrawal had appeared.

Sunday night without my electronic drug meant no Hulu, no mind challenging games, no challenging puzzles, and no Facebook checking. There were just itching fingers desiring for a keyboard, and Amelia Peabody with her Egyptian adventures wanting to be finished. I had no choice in the matter. The paperback and my eyes battled once again. And once again, bedtime came early, but my eyes didn't open until Monday was dawning. Hooray for that minor victory.

Morning passed without incident. My itching, twitching fingers washed dishes, washed clothes, and made a bed. Ms Peabody finished solving her mystery and finally rested in the old grocery bag with my other finished books. My puzzle starved mind had just remembered a tattered game and puzzle book to challenge it when the phone rang. While my trembling hands fumbled with the talk button, my mind raced. "Let it be my supplier saying my fix was ready." It was. He did.

Within 20 minutes my laptop and I sat at McDonalds like an old married couple enjoying each other's company and a pumpkin spice latte. My face lit up at the sight of my screensaver--a waterfall, then Utah red rock canyons followed by lavender fields, and pounding ocean waves. Ah, my beautiful screensaver friends were all there. So were my friends on Facebook, the ones I read about but don't talk to, the ones I "like", and the ones with all the photos I enjoy. These are the ones I could hardly wait to reach out to. The first words out of my itch, twitchy fingers were, "GO, SEAHAWKS". It felt so good.

So, blog friends, I'm back. Finally! It took me two days to finish up my on-line class work, and try to remember my blogger password. That password is where I finally admitted defeat in this long battle, so I had to change it. I thought I had written it down somewhere, but just couldn't remember where somewhere was. Well, after changing the old one, I finally found it. Here it is, the perfect password I would never forget. "idontremember" Oh well.

The memory may be slipping, as are the discs in my neck, but I know what I know. The Lord is good and his mercies last forever.

Jan.


No comments:

Post a Comment