Saturday, June 22, 2013

Saturday Ramblings

What beautiful clear night we had last night. The full moon lighted up the entire yard and made it look like a perfectly maintained park. Now that it is a sunny Saturday morning, the yard and flowerbeds are displaying their true nature.They have an abundance of dandelions, buttercups, reed canary grass, and huge mossy places where grass should be. Oh well, it is still green. It is still mowed, and it is slowly getting all the edges trimmed with the weed-eater.

Speaking of weed-eaters, I went out three times yesterday to tackled more grass and weeds. I got all the stuff under an apple tree whacked down--all except a lone calla lily that is beautiful right now. That took two half-hour sessions. Then I chomped away on the weeds next to my garage as well as the blackberries on the driveway side of the pump house. I really felt good about all I had accomplished.

I might have felt good at the end of the day, but in the middle of the night I questioned my zealousness. My elbows and wrists were killing me. Thankfully, I feel fine today and am ready to head out again after I get this written. By lunch time, there will be no more long grass around the maple tree or along the deck. At least that is what my big plan is right now--after I get some spaghetti sauce started..

Meanwhile, back to last night's the full moon. I first noticed it as I sat in my bedroom watching a program on my laptop. The brilliant yellow orb was just appearing through the hemlocks that surround my yard. I was fascinated by the silhouetted shapes of the dancing tree branches. The moon looked like a heavenly maiden whose face was covered with gently moving, black lace. Over the course of the evening she started playing hide and seek with me--now you see me, now you don't. Then I went to bed, leaving her to play alone.

This is one of those days I wish I could clone myself. There are three places I would like to be. One is in town for the big summer celebration. There will be pirates, dancing, a parade, kids in costumes, mock sea battles, lots of music, lots of people, and food, food, food. A couple grand-kids will be working at their church youth group's concession stand off and on during the day.

That's why I won't be in the pirate mix. My grand-son is using my car while the rest of his family is at a Jr. Olympic qualification meet. That is the second place I would like to be because I have three grand-kids there. I really hope they place high enough to compete again in two weeks. I will be able to go to that meet.

And of course, the third place is right here working in my yard, and trying to get as much done as possible before it starts raining again--possibly tonight, or tomorrow, or... I will have help later today when my grandson comes over to finish up some jobs for me. The best part, though, is having dinner together. What could be more special than sharing spaghetti with a handsome sixteen-year old.

Since it's impossible to be three places at once, I will check the track meet results in Facebook posts, hear about the pirates and festivities from my grandson, and still get work done outside.  It can't get much better than that.

Thank you, Lord, for this cool, breezy-yet-sunny day in the Pacific Northwest.

Rejoicing and blessed,
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment