Sunday, June 23, 2013

Spiritual Gardening Tips of The Day

Saturday was beautiful, sunny and warm all day. It could have produced a sunburn, but I did all my weed-eating in the shade, then I tackled my roadside flowerbed after it got shady as well. Over all, I got quite a bit done. YEAH!

My grandson did additional weed-eating when he got here, then mowed my entire field. To finish up, he mowed part of the backyard I hadn't tackled yet. DOUBLE YEAH! .

Now, God is watering everything for me. TRIPLE YEAH.

Yesterday, as I sat on the low rock wall around my flowerbed, pulling a variety of weeds, and dead-heading the daffodils, I kept stopping to enjoy my progress. It was looking good. When I started weeding around a big sign in the flowerbed, I was amazed at all the little-bitty blackberries sprouting up. It didn't take much to figure why they were all growing in that particular location. It seems that crows and other birds love sitting on the sign post to scout out the territory. In the process, they are leaving a mess on the top of the post as well as depositing seeds on the ground below--a veritable blackberry invasion in the making.

Those little seedlings were easy to pull up, thus stopping a potential thorny thicket. From there, I scooted over a few feet to start pulling up the grass that was taking over the iris and lavender. This is not your typical lawn grass. This grass grows several feet tall--sort of like wheat. It is not the type of grass that can just be given a tug and it comes up roots and all. This is the type that has a huge, spreading root mass. Pulling only removes the grass from the roots. Presto-chango, the grass seems to have gone, but it really hasn't.

The same was true for some blackberries that had gotten quite well established. If I couldn't pull then up, I cut them off at ground level. They will be back in a few weeks.

Then there are the pests. Some sap sucking  insects, called frog hoppers, have built bubble nests on the stems and leaves of many plants. I need to spray then off! Down on the ground where it is dark, damp, and cool I found both slugs and snails that I need to get rid of. Maybe I should just learn to eat the shelled leaf munchers. I think not. I will probably use a bird and mammal friendly bait to get rid of them.

As of this morning, what I weeded looks great, at least from a distance, but once God is done watering everything, then blessing us with more sunshine, the grass will be green and growing well again. What I really have to do is dig up the grass and blackberries, roots and all, not just take the tops off. I could use an herbicide, but don't like using that stuff. Either spraying or digging is hard work which needs to be done. I'm not looking forward to it. but the results will be wonderful.

In a way, that flowerbed is a personal look into life. We all have weeds and other unwanted things growing--things that are very unsightly when they pop to the surface, and potentially dangerous when ignored. Some of us just let them grow without giving a thought to the damage they are doing. Take the"I'm Worthless" weed for example. It is terribly damaging. If allowed to continue growing, it can completely choke out the beautiful "I'm God's Child" plant. Some folks try fighting this weed with man-made sin-icides like alcohol, drugs, or food. For a short period of time these remedies seem like they have worked, but they really haven't. Once the sin-icide has worn off, the I'm Worthless" weed comes back stronger than ever.

Spiritual Gardening Tips of the Day

Learn to recognize the weeds for what they are and not be duped by their oft-time beauty. (The Holy Bible is the best, and in my eyes, the only, resource for correctly identifying weeds)
Get completely rid of the "I'm Worthless", "I'm Stupid", I'm a Failure" weeds and any others by digging out their roots, soaking them in The Lamb's blood, then exposing them to pure heavenly light. Several exposures to light may be necessary.
Stay on top of the weeding, and never be satisfied with removing only the above-ground portion. The roots must be completely eradicated before a garden can be as thriving as it was designed to be. 
Most pests will disappear with the scent of prayers rising up as incense and the sound of voices raised in praise. 
The "I'm God's Child" plant thrives on heavenly light, living water, daily manna, and being grafted into the Vine. 
The "I'm God's Child" plant, when mature, is richly clothed with compassion, humility, kindness, forgiveness, love, patience, and gentleness. Col 3:12 
It's fruit is similar: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Col 5:22,23 
Remember, weeding, feeding, watering and fertilizing is year round work, but keep at it.   
Labor intensive root digging pays big dividends--a beautiful garden of flourishing plants. 
When discouraged, seek help and guidance from those whose gardens are producing well.

Finding many roots to dig,
Jan




No comments:

Post a Comment